A Ladder Back Chair with a Rush Seat

Dave Richards

I had a few minutes to play last night so I decided have a go at this ladder back chair I came across in a book from around 1904. The original had a straight back but after drawing it, I decided I wanted a little bit of an angle on the back. I bent the back posts 5° although maybe that's too much. It's hard to tell in this view but the center of the seat is lower than the edges. Making the seat was an interesting process which I might write about if there's interest. It makes me want to learn how to do that kind of work in reality, too.

I drew all the parts to the diameters from the original but I think at least the back posts should taper more and the knobs should be refined.

You can see a little better that the seat isn't flat in this view.

Thank you gentlemen.

Don, thanks for the suggestion. When I replace the posts with new ones—more taper and nicer knobs—I'll bend those at 3° and see how that works out.

You can't tell it but I straightened the back to 3° and slimmed down the back posts. I think the 3° bend looks better anyway. thanks Don.

Last edited:
Very nice work Dave. A couple of comments,
on ladder back chairs like that, the front top rung is typically below the sides, this improves comfort and enhances the strength of the construction.

As for the top finial, the Shakers took that art to another level, with specific designs for different communities. I agree that the shape could use a little refinement.

I am impressed with your drafting. Looks great.

Thanks Ken. I assume you mean the rungs for the seat. Whether it is typical or not, I drew the rungs as indicated for the original but I see your point. I expect there's a lot of possible refinements that could be made.