I know better

Frank Fusco

It was hot and dry again today. So, I decided to run the lawn mower over areas that have a lot of leaves (I don't rake) to mulch them for easier natural composting back into what laughingly passes for a lawn.
Well, it was also windy, lotsa dust blowing back at me. Now, my throat is raw, I'm sneezing and my eyes feel like I have 40 grit sandpaper in them. My dust mask should have been used. Nobody to blame but myself. :(

Although I have to mow year-round here, in the winter I can sometimes go a few weeks between mowing. A couple of months ago I mowed for the first time in about 3 or 4 weeks, and by then our back lawn was covered with leaves and pine cone leftovers the squirrels had dropped from the trees. (I'm talking carpeted in pine cone bits.) I started mowing and saw the huge cloud of organic dust and pollen that was happening, so I went ahead and put on my respirator, and I'm glad I did. The filter was thoroughly coated when I was done.

I hope you heal up soon, Frank. :thumb:

I hate to think of all the dust my lungs have had to endure while I was growing up. Raking/making hay, haymow, cleaning silos, chicken coops, hope you feel better soon Frank.

Thanks, yep a shower, breathing in and coughing up all that gunk helped a lot. Cleared my eyes a bit also.
I have done the hay thing, understand risks we took. Not always smart.

I hate to think of all the dust my lungs have had to endure while I was growing up. Raking/making hay, haymow, cleaning silos, chicken coops, hope you feel better soon Frank.

Your chicken coops and barn cleanings remind me of a friend we lost around 20 years ago. He cleaned his barn and mentioned there were more mouse "tracks" than normal. A few days later he came down with flu like symptoms. He kept getting worse; medical treatment didn't help. Hospitalization didn't help. He died in a few weeks later. After his death the CDC determined he had hantavirous. It was carried in the waste of rodents. Kind of makes you think doesn't it? I always have hated mice and rats. Now I have a very personal reason to detest their existence.