What lathe???

Al killian

OK, my shop is getting really close to moving stuff back in(end of the week) and their is one tools I still need to replace in the shop.Well can only affrd one mor tool at this time. Anyway, I have been searching for a good heavy lathe for turning spindles,legs, post and other things. I am not getting a new one. Cost for one the size I want would kill me. I have seen several on the owm.org site and just not sure to be looking for or to get. Any help would be great. Turning bowls is not something I get into to much, I have a smaller one for that. Just need a something for spindel type things and something I can hook a duplicator onto.

I respectfully disagree with Bob on the Shopsmith. I don't think it'd be a good choice for a production shop.

Al, there are various old Delta/Roclwell and Powermatic lathes out there - many from school woodshops - that I'd think would make good production spindle lathes. The Delta Rockwell 46-201 is one model that comes to mind. There are others out there that are similar. What sort of budget are you looking at? Knowing that might help narrow down the search

I should have said that I have two shopsmith sitting in the scrap pile out back. They just dont hold up to the abuse they get put thru. The last large job I di with one was about 200 spindels. That finished off the last one.:D:rofl:

Vaughn, here is the one I have been looking at. I talked to the guy and he says its in good condtion. The price is dirt cheap. Anything i should be looking at when I meet him this week? He is going to let me play with it for awhile to see how if feel, but i have never used a good lathe so any help would be nice.http://owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84611&p=581925&hilit=Blount+Lathe#p581925

Last edited:
Al, I had to register on the OWWM site to see the photo. I did that, but I still have to wait for an Admin to finalize the account. I'll check out the photos when that clears. ;)

A nice Blount: 12" swing, 5' OAL, 220v 3 phase 4 speed (3450, 1725, 1140, 560 rpm) direct drive lathe. I replaced the bearings (Nachis), tested it (runs good). 3 phase avilable on site to run it. Includes spur drive and dead centers (not morse taper), 6, 4.5, 4" faceplates (spindle is 1 1/8 - 12), 4" and rt angle rests ( 1" post). Good condition (except paint color) and complete. Was asking 400$, now 284$. Yup that's 580 pounds for 49 cents per pound. Shipping not included.

3 phase motor, if you've got 3 phase, might be worth it, but I don't know much about lathes...

It's a direct drive lathe so you may not be able to change the motor if you don't have 3 phase. No morse taper so it has to use another means to mount the spur drive will that style spur drive be available when you need it. For me these 2 things would make me have strong second thoughts Especially if I plan to use it to make money.

3 phase is not a isssue. I purchased a phase converter last year when I had to down size my shop and move to a smaller place. I have a 20HP rotary coverter hooked up to a 100 amp 3 phase panel which we will run all 3 phase out of.

Not having the Morse taper will limit your choices for spur drives on the spindle and live centers on the tailstock, and the spindle thread is kind of oddball at 12 tpi. But for that price, I'd be tempted to at least check it out and see how things look. I'd check for any runout on the spindle, and also check to be sure the tailstock lines with the spindle. If everything works and lines up, I'd think you could make $284 worth of products with it. And if not, I'd bet you could sell it for what you paid.

Al you might keep your eyes open for a Vega 1553 or 1560. The first is 4' between centers and the latter is 6'. They will both take a duplicator. New they are kind of pricey. A friend of mine here in town got one with duplicator off Craigs list for $2200. He does a lot of balasters for staircases. He remodels houses especially older ones with staircases.