Hillbilly engineering- Update 8-22-11

So...a neighbor gave me this sears saw that was collecting dust, and after a week or so of fumbling with outfeed support, I decided to build a table/stand for it...Here's what it began it's life and the sad attempt at support...

a quick trip to the borg for some timber and away I went...

steadily and slowly it began taking shape...

two layers of hardboard for the top and my 'marvelous' fence design :rofl:...

Slapped in a couple of drawers...

Which seems to hold the necessities nicely at hands reach...

couple of coats of satin polyurethane and it's work ready...

Even managed to install an old light fixture above it...

and as a kicker, I exchanged the original TS stand with my BS's stand as it has locking caster type wheels, much easier to move around now...

Anyways, that's what I've been up to lately, a 'tad'{:eek:} overkill for this little saw, but it's all screwed together, so up-grades are possible with-in reason. FWIW, the fence seems great so far, a little on the heavy side for sliding, but holds square, which surprises me{lol}...Now to build some storage underneath for shorts and what-nots, and a chute below the saw for dust collection...can't wait to see what I come up with when I get around to having 'real' dust collection :huh::rolleyes::D

I truly need to find a real job, much more of this 'time to kill, with no money' could be the end of ever getting any respect :D

Last edited:
That's really quite nice looking and looks like it should work very well...

What a creative way to get a much larger table saw surface! :thumb:

Looks like a great improvement. The 'Cookmeyer' fence looks like a brilliant solution. :thumb:

Oh...and get a job, ya bum! :p (I feel for you...I was looking for two years. Hopefully you'll do better than me.) ;)

in other words ken, like my benches, they're just the right height, width, and depth for the task at hand. if you've seen my benches, they ain't pretty, but i don't worry about little things like hammer dings, the occasional nail/hanger hole, or an oil drip. to me, just gives them even more character... :rofl:

Ignore the clamps, if you will, and I think you will see a truly abused workbench... Oil, Paint, Glue and who knows what other indignities this beat up chunk of wood has had to endure... :rofl:

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4154.jpg
    FWW-4154.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 189
that's why i prefer a non too pretty bench. you see some of these benches, the finest this and that, the perfect wood for the top, etc., and i wonder, how badly do these people, who have put in such effort and cost (i could build six or seven benches for the price of one pretty one), feel when they have put a mark in them?