Your favorite shop activity

Julio Navarro

I was just thinking today about what I liked to do most in the shop.

My favorite activity is thickness planing. Not much in the way of skill or effort involved. Its pretty much just repetitious work but I get to watch the wood as it changes from a rough, splintered plank to the smooth finished board it really is.

I like watching the transformation and it gives me a simple pleasure watching the character of the wood finally emerge at the other end of the planer, smoother and lighter than its heavy, rough previous condition. There is an analogy to life somewhere in there I think.

One day I will master the art of hand planing and experience the pleasure first hand.

Hmmmmmm, my most favorite activity, building memories. Be it talking with a friend or friends or even the actual building process of some item.
Look forward to reading the answers to the unique question you posted.

I'm with Frank on this one.

Just being out there I enjoy. Whether its cleaning it, organizing, or actually working on a project. I just enjoy the time spent out there actually making something.

So much of my time is spent in the 'virtual' world working, that I enjoy someplace where the outcome is something tangible and real. Just being able to create something and see it is what I enjoy.

Most everything about building one of my boats. I just love the whole process. My least favorite part is cutting out the frames but even that isn't bad. Just a be repetitious.

But, standing back and seeing the boat take shape (literally), from parts to looking like a boat.... that is sweet moment.

What a great question. So many possible answers. Sanding and finishing are not among them though:rofl:

See in the look on my wifes, kids, grandkids faces when I present them with the gift is number one:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Second is the satisfaction of taking a locally grown piece of rough lumber and turning it into a keepsake.:thumb:
I also enjoy the quiet time in the shop when all the days problems and troubles seem to just go away for awhile.

i would have to say using all of my tools:thumb:, but the best has to be when i get my younger brother to stop asking me when i'm going to build a street rod (he's built 2 now). it's when i tell him, see that nice little table over there, and he says yeah, and i ask him if he remembers the pile of boards i showed him earlier in the week:D. then i remind him that he just modifies something someone else made, while i made something from raw materials. then he good naturedly tells me that i'm full of it, and that i can't drive a table....:rofl::rofl::rofl: nothing like brotherly love, eh?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dont mind sanding when it is for a small projuect, but doing it for 8 hours stinks. My favroite in running the planer. Getting to see what the board looks like afther the rough surface comes off.