Accident at work

Drew Watson

Just heard that one of my old co-workers at the school district had a nasty accident with a router. Don't know all the particulars as to how it happened but it involved a 1 1/4 router bit and his hand being pushed through it. not just a nick. This man has many years behind him in the business in a no rush job. This is just a reminder to pay attention to what you are doing around machines as it can happen to the best of us.

I hear that the router felt nothing and the man was in hospital for 4 days and will be off work for 6 weeks. hands are full of nerve ends and require the attention of plastic surgeons to deal with ( wife has just gone through the carple tunnel suregery on both hands last year) Just can't imagine the mess a router bit would do.

I can only imagine what a mess a large bit like that would do to someones hand :eek::eek: Must be like putting your hand in a blender. My router table is one of the only tools to make me a bit nervous.

I hope your co-worker heals up OK.

These last couple of stories should be pounded into our heads. I'd guess we all walk into our shop/garage, studio, workspace, and are confident about our skills...as we should be. I'm guessing there are 2 bad situations;lack of tool knowledge and over confidence in tool use. I for one am going to clean up my area and get everything on it's place to start. One accident was enough for me!:eek:

These last couple of stories should be pounded into our heads. I'd guess we all walk into our shop/garage, studio, workspace, and are confident about our skills...as we should be. I'm guessing there are 2 bad situations;lack of tool knowledge and over confidence in tool use. I for one am going to clean up my area and get everything on it's place to start. One accident was enough for me!:eek:

While I am confident of my skills, I'm also confident that if I get too confident there's a machine in my shop that will show me which of us is tougher...:D ... any thing that spins and turns and has sharp edges gets my attention.... I like all of my fingers and toes and eyes and such.... case in point, my lathe throwing a bowl at me when I hung my face shield up and then was "just going to touch up the bottom a tiny bit"....:rofl::rofl: