Baby gift ideas

A lady I work with is expecting her first child. She is a super nice person and I would like to make her a baby gift, but I have no idea what to make. I've knocked around everything from a picture frame to a cradle. I'm stumped. What have you made for a baby gift? She isn't due til September.

Thanks Don,

A cradle is toward the top of the list. The only thing with a cradle is that most don't get used very long before they're outgrown. Your granddaughter's idea for babies would let it be used longer.

Fruit wood for baby rattles is what I always read.

Just ran across a set of plans for a cradle that knocked down and stored flat. American Woodworker I believe. Will see if I can find it. If you are interested, pm me your mailing address, when I find it I will photocopy it and mail it to you.

John, one of the nicest baby gifts that I got for my son, and I still have it (and he's 24) was a set of blocks. Each block is about 2" square. Each block has a letter on one side and a number on the opposite side. All the blocks fit neatly in 3 rows on a little wood wagon with wood wheels about 18' long X 8" wide, or something like that. There must be one extra block to make 3 rows of 9. There's a place on one end where you can tie a short cord if you want to pull it around. It's something he and his sister played with for years, and he kept it on his bookshelf throughout high school.

Just a thought....:)

I had an Aunt {or cousin maybe :dunno: can't recall} who received a wooden wet-wipe dispenser thingy, it was a cover/concealer with, IIRC, a brass sleeve in the top where the wipes came thru...been many a moon since I've seen it, but they were still using it last I did, years after receiving it...just a thought.

Man these are great ideas guys and gals. I like the block idea Cynthia, my grandson and granddaughter just might get a pair this year. Any chance of a photo? :thumb:

Sorry, Jonathan, his stuff is in boxes in his closet.....but the "wagon" is real simple, real low to the ground, just like a tray with a thick lip all the way around so the blocks don't fall out if you drag it around. The wheels are big enough not to choke on, like 2-3" diameter and 1" thick (taller than the wagon). His blocks were painted, but if it was me, I'd carve or burn in the letters and numbers. I don't even think the thing had any finish on it, just hardwood, but you certainly could finish it. My son and then his younger sister played with that every day, every game real or imaginary known to man. :thumb:

John D., if you were thinking something more sophisticated or elaborate, the other thing that I loved for many years was my rocking chair. You could make a simple one that's comfortable with a wide seat....:thumb:

John, I have another idea for you. A wonderful gift for small children (baby gift) is a miniature table with a couple of miniature chairs. Little kids are forever looking for someplace to sit down and color, do puzzles, etc. When they're little, something that's their size is a blessing. If I had had something like that, it would have been in my family room.

Also, if you wanted, you could do a miniature picnic table for outside...that would get years and years of good use....