Space Platter

Chas Jones

I think I spun the lathe a bit too fast for this one.

Walnut and Ash, 220mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN2454M.JPG
    DSCN2454M.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN2457M.JPG
    DSCN2457M.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 68
Novel approach! Very interesting use of complementary colors. Inquiring minds DO want to know how that was glued up.....:)
Thanks for posting,
mj

Now that is just cool! :thumb:

I'm curious how you got the piece cut and glued so tight though. :lurk:
Made up from offcuts, the pieces are marked out from card template.
Then cut out on a band saw.
The curves are then sanded to matching male and female curvature, making sure the edges are square to a face.

We have just got to get back to metric. When I was in school that was the only unit of measurements that I used. Due to chemistry, physics, biology, etc.
I continued to use it whenever possible and praised the day I saw the first gasoline station that had prices up in liters.

Then I drifted away from metric when the USA started regressing back to Imperial. I didn't realize how much I had regressed until I thought of the platter size in cm instead of mm. That made one heck of a coffee table out of it.

Have a laugh on me.

Enjoy,

Jim

I missed this one earlier, Chas. This is superb work. The turning is the easy part. Getting all the segments to fit was the hard part for sure. The end result looks awesome. :clap:

If only I could do them at every attempt, so many chances to fail on the dimension control when doing by hand, still a few hours to go on the process development I'm afraid.
I mean, how perverse can a piece of 'dry' wood be before you next pick it up.