Help from our Japanese members on finding this type of planer?

Brian Altop

Last year I ran across a planer by Makita I believe, that has a fixed blade and the wood runs under it. I think they are still available in Japan, but the US market is gone. You have to keep the knife very sharp or performance suffers.

Basically it is a 12" or so powered stationary hand plane. Looks just like a regular planer for the most part.

For the life of me I can't find one and would like more info and possibly get one.

Anyone familiar with these and how they perform on diff types of wood?

Thanks

Hi Brian
I think that this is what you are referring to; the Precision Planer
I remember reading about this thing years ago and it seams to me that the sharpener for the blade cost about as much as the planer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulh9CSTYO5Q

There was an article about it in an old Fine Woodworking I believe. I'll see if I can locate it.

I found the article
January/ February 1983 #38 Pgs 94-96

Last edited:
Stu,

Are they still available in Japan or are they not made any more? I guess Hitachi has one as well.

If they are could you tell me what they go for over there if its easy to find on your computer?

"Super" is right. More like a super specialized piece of equipment. Wonder how much practical use there would be for something like that.
Toni could go into production making his pruner springs with one. ;)

Yes they still make them, they are expensive and yes Frank they are very specialized tools, but the kind of thing you buy once for your company, kind of hard to wear one out.

Here is a >> Makita << unit on auction, used, for about $1000.

I know you can't read the page, but you can see the pics etc.

Here is a video of one in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWoGKwCqk4

I know this one is not the usual lightweight unit, but it gives a good idea of how they work.

In section nine, page 144 of >> THIS << catalog they have several, the cheapest is 352,000 yen or about $4300 US