Some rotten wood

:D This is a pic of some rotten box elder. Never turned any before so didn't know what to expect. A guy at work brought me a small load of it and this is the first of it to be turned. It seems like it rotts right on the lathe. is this typical?:dunno: Maybe it was just about gone when he brought it to me, as it was hollow in the middle already. O well i think it turned out all right just a pain as it kept wanting to fall apart. All C&C welcome as always.
Steve

Attachments

• 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 003 [800x600].JPG
    003 [800x600].JPG
    94 KB · Views: 58
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 55
Man that piece looks like it was just pulled from the bottom of the ocean or from some great archeological dig somewhere:eek: AWESOME is my thought on it and glad it didn't explode on ya cause that is real nice:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Add some plastic sheeting and you can put some kool-aid in there!! Nice looking chunk dude...just need some pyro:rofl::rofl:!! Glad it didn't fly apart on ya!

Last edited:
Thanks all. I did have a big problem with this piece. on the last pic at the top you can see where the bark goes in a U shape? Well that did blow off. I got lucky as it came off clean, so i was able to glue it back on. Also i wanted to go a little thinner but didn't dare as it was wanting to blow apart. Jim coun't do any burning on this as there wasn't much left.:rofl::rofl:

Wow! Not only did you succeed in turning a really challenging piece of wood, but you managed to pull out a very clean form out of it. The curves look spot on to my eyes (at least in the places where you have enough wood to make curves). :D I can understand not wanting to go thinner. :thumb:

This is a killer piece for a lot of reasons(color, bark, voids, etc), but I agree with Vaughn... This turning really shines because the form is so darn good. Excellent work!