what do you lose?

Frank Fusco

What tool do you lose most frequently?
Mine are ordinary side cutters. It seems every time I need some there are none to be found. Currently, I have these, kept in shop, another pair in tool chest in garage and, maybe, a pair in the tool box I carry in the truck.
However, I often cannot find any anywhere and have to buy 2 to 4 new pairs a year. :huh: I do not understand. Is there a side cutter eating bug out there?
What do you lose?

Attachments

• side cutters.jpg
    side cutters.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 5
My pencils! I start out with a fresh box of a dozen, and put two near each major tool - TS,BSs, DPs, SCMS, etc, and the rest in a bench drawer - yet every time I need one it seems they've 'migrated' somewhere else.:huh:

Tape measures are nearly as bad at migrating and hiding.:dunno:

Time. Never can find enough of it. I think Allen Levine steals it when I'm not looking. That would explain why he gets so much done and I get so little...

Whatever tool I'm using.

Bill ;)

My problem as well... I'll lay it down, put it in a pocket or a pencil behind my ear, then can't find it again... I've developed the habit of TRYING to always put the tool back in it's place... even though I'll walk a mile in the shop getting and replacing a tool... I lose less time than spending 1/2 an hour each time looking for the tool I just had in my hand 5 minutes ago.... :D:D

like Jim, no matter how many times I put a pencil down 30 minutes later Im looking for something to make a mark and its gone.
When I closed my store, the girls found 100s of used pens and 100s of used pencils, and a few boxes of pencils.
I took them all, sharpened every pencil, and rubberbanded them and I keep a bundle of around 40-50 pencils on a shelf so when Im working, if one dissappears, another is within reach.
speaking of pencils, my mother had an electric pencil sharpener in her office back in the 70s. When she passed 25 years ago, I just dumped everything from her office except that pencil sharpener. And the old saying is true, they just dont make things the same way today. That thing is still the best.

Tape measure for sure. I think I have 6 in the shop, half the time I can't find a single one of them. I've been tempted to wire them to the wall every 5-6' around the shop.

I lost my mind years ago. I've simply stopped looking for it. :rolleyes:

To the untrained eye, my shop looks like a mess. But for reasons I don't understand, I seldom spend much time looking for things. I can't think of any particular thing that I lose consistently. I have pencils in various places, so there always seems to be one close at hand. My lone tape measure is almost always in the drawer where it goes, or within reach if I'm using it on a project. If it's not there, it'll usually be somewhere near the last thing I was working on. All my rules are in another drawer, and I use them seldom enough that it's unlikely they were left at the scene of the last project.

Actually, I meant to say Leatherman, instead of SAK. Mine is bigger than Brent's, although I'm sure he has more than me.

Don't get me started when it comes to pencils/pens. I buy about 20 per month and have no idea where they disappear to.

I never lose my leatherman, because it is always in it's holster on my belt, except for when I have to fly somewhere...