Found: Replacement for ice skates

Hi,

I had to do a lot of sanding on an old piece of tempered Masonite. I went into the house, after wiping my shoes well as I usually do. When walking across the hardwood floor I felt like I was on ice skates---and I am not an ice skater.

Well it turns out that the saw (Masonite) dust adhered to my shoe soles. Not only did it adhere to them, it resisted the usual foot scraping that I do to keep the LOML the LOML. Not only that but a stiff putty knife would not touch it. I ended up applying paint thinner and using the stiff, beveled like a chisel, putty knife to get it off.

Oh yes. It picked up sawdust from the shop floor. It was like the sawdust had been molded into plastic. The small wood chips would not pry out of the stuff.

The sanding took place outside. I went back out there with plastic bags fastened over my shoes (cleaning that stuff off once is definitely enough times for a lifetime) and really cleaned-up. I swept the concrete. I fox-tailed the concrete and I pressure washed the concrete. I am very pleased to announce that nothing in that area sticks to shoes now.

Moral to the story. If you are going to sand very much tempered Masonite, tie shopping bags, or similar, over your shoes and then REALLY clean up the premisis.

Enjoy,

Slippery Jim

Jim, my shop floor with the epoxy paint can get pretty slippery with sawdust on it, so I know a bit about the ice skating sensation. Be careful with the plastic bags, though. They can be pretty slippery too on the wrong surfaces. And unlike Ken, you don't have a lot of extra padding. ;)