What Is Up With Mercedes Drivers?

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Apologies in advance if you drive a Mercedes. This rant is not directed at you. (Unless you're one of them.) :p

In the past five or six weeks I've done a lot of driving as the result of my new job. Many, many hours of driving a longbed extended-cab pickup truck (with a shell) in some of the worst traffic in the country. Jam-packed freeways and major city streets are my 'office' for at least half of every day. Today alone I spent time on the 210, the 118, the 405, the 101, the 170, the 10, and the 110 freeways. Plus streets like La Brea, Sunset, Wilshire, Santa Monica, La Cienega, and Highland. (Those who are familiar with the area will know what I'm talking about.)

Despite the thick traffic, most drivers in Los Angeles are cooperative. Most of us realize we're all in this mess together, so people tend to help each other out in small ways. If you need to changes lanes, you can usually find a likely break in traffic, signal your intentions, then move into the other lane. It might be tight, with little room to spare in front or back of your vehicle, but people will slow down to let someone cut in front of them. (I know this is unheard of in some parts of the country, but in LA, it's not uncommon.) Or if you're pulling out of a parking lot near an intersection, and traffic is stopped in the street, nearly always someone will wait to let you into traffic once the cars start moving.

But apparently, the User's Manual for Mercedes automobiles has a paragraph or two about such nonsense. Over the past 5 or 6 weeks, I've noticed a definite trend. Nine times out of ten, if someone races to close the gap before I can change lanes, or if someone makes it an obvious point to not allow me to pull into gridlocked traffic, that someone is behind the wheel of a Mercedes. :rolleyes:

At first, I thought it was just snooty owners of expensive cars. But then I noticed that I kept seeing that two-legged peace sign in my rear view mirror nearly every time someone closed off a lane behind me as I tried to change lanes. Almost never see it done by a BMW or Jag or Rolls or Ferrari or Caddy or Maserati...but multiple times daily with a Mercedes. For some reason, the Mercedes drivers out here seem to have a sense of entitlement that the rest of us don't have. And in many of the parts of town I drive in, a Mercedes is not really that big of a deal. There are many more expensive cars driving around. I even saw a Ferrari and a Rolls in the parking garage of a condo this afternoon. Not the kind of cars you typically see in a condo parking lot. (Not the typical condo, though. These units run in the millions of dollars. Ozzy Osborne is one of the new residents there, according to our client.)

Now I don't want to seem like I'm down on people who drive nice cars. Heck, I have a Lexus and my wife drives an Acura. (Not full-blown luxury cars, but not Yugos, either.) I encounter normal drivers behind the wheel of cars costing ten times as much as my car every day. But what is up with Mercedes drivers? :rolleyes: :p

You're cracking me up Vaughn. This was a subtle reminder why I moved away after 13 years in LA (moved out in 91). Your list of freeways brought back many memories of my daily commute.

The compliment I'll give LA drivers that I've never seen anywhere else, is that when traffic is good, we could always drive at 65+, 2 feet behind the car in front of you. Never an accident. Kind of like NASCAR. :thumb::thumb:

...The compliment I'll give LA drivers that I've never seen anywhere else, is that when traffic is good, we could always drive at 65+, 2 feet behind the car in front of you. Never an accident. Kind of like NASCAR. :thumb::thumb:

I thought we were hardcore until I drove in Toronto. They were following at LA distances, but doing 120 -140 KPH (about 75 - 85 MPH). It sure keeps you on your toes.

Since there are two of us in the truck, we take advantage of the carpool lanes wherever possible. On a lot of the freeways, the carpool lane is what used to be the shoulder or break-down lane, so I'm driving a foot or less away from the barrier wall on my left. That has a certain NASCAR feel too, except the wall's on the driver side instead of the passenger side. :p

Oh, and I moved out here the year you left. There's less pollution now, but definitely more traffic.

Well that explains it Vaughn, your one of those lexus drivers. :eek::eek::rofl: now no going postal on mercades drivers now. :rofl::rofl:

We don`t have anywhere near the traffic grid lock that you have there ( ok morning and afternoon rush is bad enough it is called the colwood crawl) most everyone is courteous , but there are those that are just ignorant like you have discribed but never really noticed it has anything to do with the type of car. When I run into drivers like that I try to just smile and wave and wish them a nice day and turn up the tunes as there is more important things in life to to worry about than people like that and your better than they are. :thumb:

Here in Japan they call them "Benz" as "Mercedes" is too hard to say in Japanese :doh:

The "Benz" driver really and truly believes that when they got the deed to the car, they also got a deed to the road, I have to agree with you about their attitude, as it is the same or worse here.

You could not GIVE me one of them cars, unless I could just sell it the same day :rolleyes: :D

I thought we were hardcore until I drove in Toronto. They were following at LA distances, but doing 120 -140 KPH (about 75 - 85 MPH). It sure keeps you on your toes.

:threadjacked:

And I feel about Toronto the way Sharon feels about LA... :crazy:

The really annoying thing is there is really no way to avoid it when going from one side of the province to the other. I'd love to see a highway built that had NO EXITS in Toronto, so you could enter at one side and get out at the other with a minimum of fuss.

Vaughn, you need to re-read the state's rules of the road.
There are special exemptions for Mercedes, Escalade and Hummers. They get the right of way, no matter what.
Back in the 50s thru 70s it was Buick's and Cadillac's that got the special privileges but that changed.
It takes a special kind of person to drive a Mercedes, Escalade or Hummer.
Just ask one of them, they'll tell you just how special they are. ;)
Yes, there are times when I wish I still was driving my 1977 Dodge truck with it's heavy welded steel bumpers. No one came near me or ever challenged me. Really.

I grew up in NYC. Back when I would drive a $100 jalopy, I would edge into traffic by putting myself in the way of a Caddy or similar, and let the other driver choose if he wanted to dent up his car.

Funny, Glenn, my father used to say the same thing about Cadillac drivers.

Ditto on the "killed" Benz symbols on the fender. I might even lean on them a little to see if they get out of the way.

I had one of those knuckle heads cut me off once where i had to stand on the brakes and swerve to avoid running his car over. He got caught at the light so I pulled next to him and the wife rolled the window down and started yelling at him telling him we had just about killed him. He was giving my wife a bunch of colorful language when I noticed he was missing both front teeth. So I leaned over and smiled at him and politely asked him "hey buddy, howed you lose those teeth. All I can say is that the blue smoke wasn't smog. :rofl:

Up here we see two types of Mercedes. There are a couple of the old ones and you don't want to be behind one. They don't know where the gas pedal is. They are usually restored and driven by someone of my age or older. The new ones are usually the ones you don't want behind you. They see a mountain road and think they NEED to go fast. I drive an old diesel truck with a big rear bumper with a hitch on it. I had real long hair and looked like a crazy, gray haired recluse with a big dog and an old truck. I have been known to lock up my brakes when someone gets on my butt and camps there. We don't worry about road rage. It is a known fact that everyone up here carries a equalizer in their vehicle. The Deputies that patrol this area tend to side with the locals.

Denver was a different story. They have to be the rudest drivers I have ever seen. You have to be super aggressive to drive there. Sure am glad we moved. I would rather drill a half inch hole in my foot with a hammer drill and a masonry bit than go to Denver.

Up here we see two types of Mercedes. There are a couple of the old ones and you don't want to be behind one. They don't know where the gas pedal is. They are usually restored and driven by someone of my age or older. The new ones are usually the ones you don't want behind you. They see a mountain road and think they NEED to go fast. I drive an old diesel truck with a big rear bumper with a hitch on it. I had real long hair and looked like a crazy, gray haired recluse with a big dog and an old truck. I have been known to lock up my brakes when someone gets on my butt and camps there. We don't worry about road rage. It is a known fact that everyone up here carries a equalizer in their vehicle. The Deputies that patrol this area tend to side with the locals.

Denver was a different story. They have to be the rudest drivers I have ever seen. You have to be super aggressive to drive there. Sure am glad we moved. I would rather drill a half inch hole in my foot with a hammer drill and a masonry bit than go to Denver.

Im with you Mark but have you noticed how friendly tailgaters are they always honk and wave and give me the Hawaiian peace sign, right friendly folks them tailgaters but they always seem to be in a hurry :rofl::rofl::rofl:

When I was young I drove everywhere: Manhattan, Paris, etc. etc. You gotta be on your toes.....Where I am now--it's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here--traffic = 3 cars at a stop-light. :rofl: I like this better. And I'm not in a hurry anymore. What's the hurry? I don't see a lot of expensive cars around here, mostly pick-ups. Anybody wants to pass me, go right ahead. We have a pick-up and a SUV. I find people in cars are generally intimidated by a pick-up. I don't think I've seen one Mercedes since I've been here (1 year).