What Is Up With Mercedes Drivers?

some of you are the biggest hippocrits Ive ever met.

noone here thinks any less of someone who spends 250 dollars on a dovetail saw, or 4 grand on a huge lathe they might only use 15 times a year.

But someone who likes fancy cars for their own pleasure, and someone who has worked their entire life feels like they are entitled, or have some sense of power? Give me a break.

I drove my hummers for 6 years and never cared what someone else thought.
I drove it for my own selfish pleasure. I started working at 5 y/o, and worked myself nearly to death, now a cripple and spiraling downward with a neuro muscular disease, and because I chose a luxury car that I worked for, Im entitled? or a showoff? Or it gives me a sense of power?
Horsecookies.
I derive the same pleasure all of you get when you start up that expensive lathe or take out your 150 dollar chisels or dovetail saw.

If I had a nickel for every moron driver Ive experienced in a honda or toyota, I could solve the nations debt crisis.

I see things so differently, maybe this place isnt for me.
sorry bout the rant.

Allen, please don't take anything personally. We are having fun with this thread. There are all kinds and we all have our perceptions of what is happening in the world.
Personally, I believe there are certain personality types who drive black Esclades. They seem to think they have special privileges. OTOH, I have a relative (by marriage) who drives expensive Audi's and Mercedes. He truly believes the world revolves around him and everyone (meaning the general public) is impressed when he drives those expensive car around town. When he parks in a big parking lot he takes three spaces all for himself. In his mind he is "entitled". In some ways, a very nice guy, but in others he is a sicko.
You are right, there are a lot of jerk drivers in every type of vehicle.
Ease up, have some fun with us.

On the interstates, I'm one of those drivers a lot of other people really hate. I get in the left (fast) lane, set my cruise control to about 3 mph over the limit and stay there. If it is a 70 mph road, the guys wanting to do 80, or more, come up to my bumper, weave, flash lights, give me the one finger salute, etc. I don't care. I'm still passing the vehicles in the right lane and not having to use my brakes and then accelerate again every few seconds. Mr. Impatient behind me usually passes on the right after a minute. I save gas, wear and tear on the vehicle and don't have to slow down to almost nothing on hills for big trucks, RVs, etc.
I figure, if I'm slightly over the speed limit I can't be going too slow.

On the interstates, I'm one of those drivers a lot of other people really hate. I get in the left (fast) lane, set my cruise control to about 3 mph over the limit and stay there. If it is a 70 mph road, the guys wanting to do 80, or more, come up to my bumper, weave, flash lights, give me the one finger salute, etc. I don't care. I'm still passing the vehicles in the right lane and not having to use my brakes and then accelerate again every few seconds. Mr. Impatient behind me usually passes on the right after a minute. I save gas, wear and tear on the vehicle and don't have to slow down to almost nothing on hills for big trucks, RVs, etc.

Yep, that would drive me nuts. Many states have passed "keep right" laws that require drivers to stay in the right hand lane except when passing. Depending on where you are, you could get a ticket for driving like that.

State Keep Right Laws

What you are doing is forcing people to do a potentially illegal pass on the right.

Another link for your enjoyment.

Lane Courtesy

Last edited:
Yep, that would drive me nuts. Many states have passed "keep right" laws that require drivers to stay in the right hand lane except when passing. Depending on where you are, you could get a ticket for driving like that.

State Keep Right Laws

What you are doing is forcing people to do a potentially illegal pass on the right.

Another link for your enjoyment.

Lane Courtesy

I am almost always in compliance with the "while passing" bit. The right lane traffic is often so slow I am passing constantly.
I am forcing no one to do anything. They are speeding and driving recklessly by their own choice.

I'm sure you are driving within, or close, to the rules. And yes, you cannot control the actions of the other drivers and how fast or recklessly they drive is their choice.

However if you are driving in a way that you know (as indicated by your initial message) will cause other drivers to exhibit road rage, well, I'm just saying I'd rethink things a little bit.

I tend to drive slightly faster than the rest of the traffic and I find it very easy to pass a car, pull back into the right lane, let the speedsters go past and then go back into the left lane to pass the next car. No skin off my nose and nobody gets upset, and the traffic overall flows more smoothly.

If that is not the case, well, no worries, but from reading your initial message it lead me to believe that you know your actions will upset other drivers.

http://www.motorists.org/lane-courtesy/excuses

The granddaddy of all "left-lane hog" excuses is "I'm driving the speed limit, I shouldn't have to move over."

Of course, anyone who honestly looks at speed limits on our roads know they rarely reflect actual travel speeds. Instead they are arbitrary, politically generated numbers that have no relationship to real engineering standards.

This means a driver going the speed limit in the left lane can still be a serious problem. They can cause abrupt lane and speed changes, as well as hostility or road rage. Even if our speed limits were more realistic, there is no good reason to remain in the left lane if a faster vehicle wishes to pass you. It only creates friction and makes our roads more dangerous.

some of you are the biggest hippocrits Ive ever met.

noone here thinks any less of someone who spends 250 dollars on a dovetail saw, or 4 grand on a huge lathe they might only use 15 times a year.

But someone who likes fancy cars for their own pleasure, and someone who has worked their entire life feels like they are entitled, or have some sense of power? Give me a break.

I drove my hummers for 6 years and never cared what someone else thought.
I drove it for my own selfish pleasure. I started working at 5 y/o, and worked myself nearly to death, now a cripple and spiraling downward with a neuro muscular disease, and because I chose a luxury car that I worked for, Im entitled? or a showoff? Or it gives me a sense of power?
Horsecookies.
I derive the same pleasure all of you get when you start up that expensive lathe or take out your 150 dollar chisels or dovetail saw.

If I had a nickel for every moron driver Ive experienced in a honda or toyota, I could solve the nations debt crisis.

I see things so differently, maybe this place isnt for me.
sorry bout the rant.

I'll bet your Hummer never went where mine did I only had one for two years then I had to leave it behind for someone else the Army wouldn't let me keep it. Mine was the real thing RTTY in desert camo something like this. Join the Army see Iraq.

My next Army NG play toy was this. The pic title is....Hummer.....where....oops sorry I didn't see it. Now this is the real status symbol all 66 thousand 700 pounds of it. Ya if you liked Tonka toys as a kid this is the way to go.

Attachments

• RTTY.jpg
    RTTY.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Hummer where oh sorry I didn't see it..jpg
    Hummer where oh sorry I didn't see it..jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I have to agree - that kind of behavior is very discourteous and selfish. If someone is behind you wanting to get past you, you should pull over as soon as its safe and let them pass. But even more so, you should not stay in the left lane. You should only be there for a relatively short time to pass another car, then pull over to one of the right lanes.

We need to use common sense because we share the road, and think of the other person. You know you're irritating other people and there's no good reason to do so.

Mike

I have to agree - that kind of behavior is very discourteous and selfish. If someone is behind you wanting to get past you, you should pull over as soon as its safe and let them pass. But even more so, you should not stay in the left lane. You should only be there for a relatively short time to pass another car, then pull over to one of the right lanes.

We need to use common sense because we share the road, and think of the other person. You know you're irritating other people and there's no good reason to do so.

Mike

People are getting emotional over this. This my last comment, then fini.
I use the common sense by driving near the speed limit and not weaving in and out. The speeders, weavers and jerks think only of themselves. I have listed several good reasons why this is my practice. Speeding, weaving, bumper riding, flashing the one finger salute, etc. is the discourteous and selfish behavior.

I use the common sense by driving near the speed limit and not weaving in and out. The speeders, weavers and jerks think only of themselves. I have listed several good reasons why this is my practice. Speeding, weaving, bumper riding, flashing the one finger salute, etc. is the discourteous and selfish behavior.

No, Frank. Hogging the left lane and refusing to move over into the proper lane to allow faster traffic (regardless of the speed limit) to get past you is what's discourteous. The road is for sharing, and you don't own that lane!

Kinda reminds me of when I first moved to California - about 40 years ago. I was driving Southbound on I-5, maybe 20 miles South of L.A, doing 65 mph in the SLOW lane (speed limit was 55 back then) when a CHP car pulled up very tight behind me and used his in-car PA system to say "If you're gonna creep, use the shoulder!"

Frank, You can use my favorite quote also......"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you!>"

I don't want to perpetuate this thread, but Frank's comment reminds me of a guy I worked with at TWA back in the early '60's... he was Lebanese by birth and immigrated to U.S. as a young man.... I guess he learned to drive in Beirut... but he would commute from San Jose to the airport at SFO... I had several occasions where I would enter the freeway just as he passed my entry point... I've watch him run up the 101 at whatever speed he could muster in his old beater car, weave in and out of traffic, passing first on the left then on the right then back across the freeway to the left, etc... all the way from San Jose.... I stayed in the right hand lane... but watched him weaving up the freeway... when we exited at the airport, he would be the car immediately in front of me... all his weaving and bobbing and he only gained one car length at the exit.... matter of fact, he was such a poor driver that the company supervisors revoked his company driver's license and would not allow him to drive any of the airline vehicles... no forklifts, no tugs, not even the electric tow tug we used to move carts around in the warehouse.