Tap Handle - WIP

Jeff Bower

I have a friend that is coverting a 1924 dairy barn into a man cave/kid's playhouse. His FIL gave him his old kegorator but it has a Bass beer tap handle...he hates Bass beer and said he needed to find a new one. He's given me TONS of wood for turning and I've given him a couple of pieces in return.

This is my first try at a tap handle...the plan is to cut a flat "paddle" at the top and carve or rout the letter T for his last name on it. If that doesn't work, I'll just make another one that is all round. It's 8" tall and is out of some oak he gave me awhile back. The second pic is so you can see what it will look like on the kegorator. Will post more pictures once completed. Hopefully he likes it and we can try it out...a few times. :D:beer:

Attachments

• p_00222.jpg
    p_00222.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 99
  • p_002221.jpg
    p_002221.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 99
And carving the "T" into by hand and leaving the roughness, well, that might add a lot of cool...

I'm trying to channel my inner Toni here, but it would be great to see what the master carver thinks...

Looking good so far, Jeff. :thumb: Ya know, you could maybe try Brent's idea of leaving the wood rough and carving the T, and if you didn't like it, you could then sand it flat and go with your original idea.

BTW, that second photo must have been hard to take. Standing your lathe on end like that is always such a pain. At least for me it is. :p

I'm starting to like the idea of leaving it rough like suggested...the barn it will be in is kinda rough in a few areas...would fit right in!:)

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I hope to get it finished this weekend :thumb:

Well my bandsaw motor is shot :doh: so I need to get over to my dad's to try and cut the top of the handle...he'll be gone this weekend...maybe I can "borrow" a few other things too. :rolleyes::p

Just in case it doesn't work, I got 4 more tap handle blanks ready to turn last night...epoxied a 3/8 threaded inserts into 2 oak and 2 cedar blanks. Then I will use my high dollar bottle stopper chuck (a 3/8 bolt cut off and put in a MT2 jacobs chuck) All the wood is still from the person who will recieve it. Guess he can choose from all of them...:D

Attachments

• p_00234.jpg
    p_00234.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
Glenn and I move tools around between us. Lots of times they don't get returned. However that is on purpose---Things like, "I never use this whatsit do you want to try it?" frequently remain instead of being returned.

Occasionally one of us will ask the other, "Do I have anything of yours that you want back?" The answer to that one is frequently, "If you give it back, it is going in the garage sale."

Enjoy,

Jim

Glenn and I move tools around between us. Lots of times they don't get returned. However that is on purpose---Things like, "I never use this whatsit do you want to try it?" frequently remain instead of being returned.

Occasionally one of us will ask the other, "Do I have anything of yours that you want back?" The answer to that one is frequently, "If you give it back, it is going in the garage sale."

Enjoy,

Jim

LOL!!!! Need anymore kids? I'm quite and don't eat much :eek:;)

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim, we swap tools quite a bit too...although I'm usually the one that is borrowing...he's had a bit longer to accumulate tools though. I am guilty of keeping a few of his tools...if I knew where they were, I'd give them back...:rolleyes: