Turning Plywood

Jim Krager

This is my first attempt at turning plywood and I had a problem will some of the layers pulling fiber instead of cutting and I was using a sharp tool. Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any tips that would help stop this from happening?:huh:

Attachments

• Plywood Bowl.jpg
    Plywood Bowl.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 151
Hey Jim,
Looks like you cut squares, glued them into a stack and that was your blank. You are braver than I am sir! Since the plys are so thin, some tear out is expected. Maybe change your cut to a shear and since it's all end grain, get a good burr on that scaper.

For one thing you can't turn CHEAP grade plywood with any success., You should use a good furniture grade plywood,because the cheap stuff is not glued up very well and is full of voids.I have never turned it,but have seen many very nice pieces turned from it.good luck.

That came out looking cool, Jim. :thumb: I'm assuming you dyed the outside. Is that correct?

I think the tearout problem you're seeing would be helped with careful tool presentation (shearing cuts for the final few passes) and very sharp tools.

Thanks. Yes, I used a dark blue dye and then sanded it with some 400 grit. It's Baltic Birch Plywood top grade.

Last edited:
Don't see how in the devil I missed the pic :dunno: but anyway it is a beautifull piece.Like I said in my 1st reply on this,the cheap grade ply has way to many voids and air pockets to turn decent pieces from,but you did great with the birch :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Jim here are a couple I made. I will say one thing you definitely need to wear some kind of breathing protection as this stuff can really get to you. I was told the glue and dust are really nasty.

Attachments

• Plywood Bowl 3.jpg
    Plywood Bowl 3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Plywood Bowl.jpg
    Plywood Bowl.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 25
No Jonathan, I used a HSS scraper, the only carbide tool I have is a Sorby Hollow Master and the bend just did work for me on this bowl. I need to save my pennies to get a something that is straight like the Ci1. Thanks everyone for all your comments. :)

Nice piece. Would it help to pour some thin CA glue on the places that start to tear out? Turn some, CA, turn some. I've seen some pictures of vessels turned out of plywood, layers going different directions different color dyes, very impressive stuff.