very light Storm damage, points to major renovation

Ned Bulken

We had a pretty heavy thunderstorm this afternoon main cell went right over the house, 1/2" diameter hail, plus pretty stiff winds. One minor issue with the house roof, the metal ridge cap was peeled back. Neighbor who is a contractor was gracious enough to use my (er, Mark's) ladder and reattatch it, plus tarp about 9' of the peak of the roof just in case.

While he was up there, he confirmed what I knew, but had been hoping to avoid... a complete tear off is in order due to ice dams and just 26 yr old roofing materials (original roof on the starter house). SO, i'll be visiting a roofing company I trust and see how soon they can start, and how much it will cost...

pics when I can get back on the iMac, probably in the morning.

That bites Ned...sorry to hear that. Being that it's that old, you'd probably be looking at a buyer wanting it replaced or wanting to discount the price of the house. However, a new roof should help sell the house a little easier.

Ned,

I'm sorry for the roof bit. Having to replace a roof is the pits. I priced removing our tile roof and replacing with a composition roof. It would only cost 3/4 of what my first new house cost.

On the other hand a bad roof can cost a fortune in ruined furniture, rugs, etc. It can also total out all of your fond memory stuff.

Wish I could wave my magic wand and fix it for you.

Sorry again,

Jim

detail shot of the ridge cap damage

couple of short video clips (my Nikon shoots video, who knew?)
general view of the neighborhood... note the pools of water.

Neighborhood farm stand lost a roof, our fire company on the roll to the scene.

very odd fog rolled in extremely fast... <5 minutes

Any chance that your insurance will cover some of the cost ?? I have a couple of contacts near Syracuse that sell roofing materials. Maybe I can get a little extra discount for you :dunno:

The short video of the storm was pretty cool. I love watching thunder storms.

Bob, we're going to call our agent today... not sure how much will be covered, if any.

:huh: I would think wind/storm damage would be covered.... I keep hoping for a hail wind storm that does nothing but ruin my roof...or at least make it worth insurance paying for everything over my deductible...:D

Good videos Ned.

I'd think that the damage should be covered, but many insurance companies want to pro-rate the roof based on it's age. So they may not cover the entire cost, will depend on the carrier and the policy you have.

When I quoted mine this last time, they came out and inspected it and rated it. Based on the rating would depend on how much they would cover. Even at 14 years old, they still covered it fully due to the type of shingle used, but would down grade that after a few years.

Just found out that the cell in my video clip spawned an F1 tornado, and did damage for about a 4 mile stretch along rte 31 in Canastota. Obviously the roof cap was very minor, but there were several other barns and houses which lost large sections of their roofs.