busy week - the turning has commenced...

Dan Noren

Staff member
now that i've gotten most of the planned flat stuff out of the way, i can indulge myself a bit in the ol' vortex.:rofl: the first of the items to be turned are the rolling pins. then the tapered rolling pins, meat mallets, and so on....

p.s. there are 4 more just like that one to be turned, going to wait until i can do them outside.

Attachments

• first rolling pin.jpg
    first rolling pin.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 98
Hi,

I have a large, sixteen-inch, rolling pin similar to yours. My dad made it for me when I was involved in pottery (stuff thrown on the potter's wheel, etc.). That was approximately 51 years ago. It was made to flatten clay into sheets to be made into: boxes, medallions, jewelry, dragons and what-evers.

I still use it for something or the other on occasion.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hi,

I have a large, sixteen-inch, rolling pin similar to yours. My dad made it for me when I was involved in pottery (stuff thrown on the potter's wheel, etc.). That was approximately 51 years ago. It was made to flatten clay into sheets to be made into: boxes, medallions, jewelry, dragons and what-evers.

I still use it for something or the other on occasion.

Enjoy,

Jim

As abonker on Glenn :huh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i know that i wouldn't want to get bonked with this:eek:. at 18" long, 2 3/4" diameter of hard maple, i'm sure it would hurt just a little. no pics today, day 4 of 4 off is scheduled for taking of good pics for the web site, and working on the newsletter. besides, 3 solid days of woodworking, and i'm pretty much destressed, and looking forward to my next set of days off...:D:thumb:

got some turning in today. started out pretty good with a pen turning demo for the web site, but got bit in the sanding. i found that brown ebony is just as prone to splitting when thin as the black stuff. i guess i'll find something else for the rest of it, and redo the demo with cocobolo. with that out of the way, i decided to start in on the other items. the rolling pin is now joined by the meat mallet, and potato masher/walnut, pecan, almond smasher in hard maple, and a fruit muddler (look up bar tools) in ash. all in all, around 6 hours at the lathe today, more in store for tomorrow. once i have good pics, i'll post them tomorrow.

well, i hate to tease you guys about time at the lathe without pics, so here they are. for the last three days, i've spent roughly 6 hrs each day (that's 18 hrs all together larry:rofl:) having fun at the lathe. almost completely destressed. grand total of the fun: 3 more rolling pins to keep the first one company. 4 tapered rolling pins. 6 of the large (for stock pots and such) spurtles. 1 fruit muddler (with more to follow). 1 meat mallet (with more to follow). 1 potato masher/walnut smasher (with more to follow), and 3 small spurtles. not too bad, 19 items in 18 hours....:rofl: on a side note, i think i'm going to redo the small spurtles, they seem a bit too clunky to me.

Attachments

• small spurtles.jpg
    small spurtles.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 30
  • potato masher or walnut crusher.jpg
    potato masher or walnut crusher.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 25
  • meat mallet.jpg
    meat mallet.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 27
  • fruit muddler.jpg
    fruit muddler.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 28
  • large spurtles.jpg
    large spurtles.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 28
  • tapered rolling pins.jpg
    tapered rolling pins.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 30
  • rolling pins.jpg
    rolling pins.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 25
yayyyy!!!!:woot::bliss::highfive::bounce::woohoo: the 60 hour week is over!!!:thud::treadmill:, and today is day 1 of 4off!!!!!:woohoo::highfive::bliss:

today will be spent making up story sticks for the meat mallets, potato masher/walnut smashers, updating the website, and other things for getting ready for the next 3 days. gonna be a woodworking fool again (the wife:blah: says heavy on the fool part).

other good news, 1 of the rolling pins, and 1 of the tapered rolling pins have been sold. :thumb::D:highfive:

Man, you've been busy, Dan. That's quite a production run. :thumb:

As abonker on Glenn :huh::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Unfortunately, No!
There were times when it seriously entered my mind. However, cruelty to dumb animals is against the law most places.

Boy, am I going to hear about this.

Enjoy,

Jim

On the plus side, you shortened Glenn's Christmas list by at least one gift. It's a safe bet he won't be getting (or making) you anything this year. :p