tornadoes across the south

There have been some big ones in Arkansas. I know a big one hit within a few miles of Mark Cothren's place a couple of nights ago, although he and his family are OK.

Here's hoping all the folks over on that side of the country get a break from this weather soon.

We had a tornado watch yesterday, and a warning south of us, but luckily the sky never turned green here. No freight trains, either. Thank goodness, I've had enough of those to last a good long while...

Here's hoping everyone's safe. What a season it's been, here and abroad...

Thanks,

Bill

Cynthia, I was just about to post along this line.
I hope from the bottom of my heart that all you guys are as well as can be expected. We only see forest fires and a couple of quakes here. I really have no idea what you guys are going through...a month in Haiti seems easier. God bless and keep your heads down!!!

p.s. I talkd to Jeff Horton via Email a couple times today...it was quick, but their power was out and that was about it.
I know that we (DMAT) have 6 teams deployed in the entire area to cover the medical needs of the wounded. We use big shelter tents...not tornado resistant by any means...now there more people to worry about.

Last edited:
just got off the phone with jeb,, and he said that he is fine but they are out of power and looks like they will be for some time the main citys are gettin some but not all of the city.. the f4 or f5 came threw just one mile from his factory that he works at.. they got just a few pieces of siding lifted of the shop and no power and will be down for a month because of the power outages but the mile away is gone!!! he told me that some were saying that this has caused more damage than any hurricane has in the past..twisted railroad tracks...ut he and his family is well and the weather great which helps so they arent sweltering hot or dealing with rains..

Hey guys, finally got power. I'm supposed to have it until tonight, then they're turning mine off to cycle through some other places. Not enough transmission lines up yet from the power plants to get everyone up at one time it seems. Most of the info very vague.

I'm fine, I got really lucky. From what I heard 2% of employees at the plant I work for had complete loss of their houses. The latest TVA update is 580,000 still without power, many places having 1-2 hr waits for groceries and food. If anyone is thinking of helping, there is little need atm for anything but skilled linesmen working for TVA until the power comes back up. Most of the affected areas have dusk-dawn curfews and some have roadblocks and you have to show proof of address to even reach a home in that area. Other areas might be different, but for lawrence, morgan, madison counties that seems to be the case.

For any that need work and are willing to travel, I suspect in about 1-2 weeks there will be a alot of home building in north alabama. I haven't heard a # but there are 100+ in lawrence county, I would guess a 1000+ in north alabama. No telling how many got damage, many times that number I'm sure.

Oh another great way to give help, donate blood if you are a donor. I'm not sure how much the shortage is locally, or nationally. They are calling for donations down here though and say they are in need. The hospitals are covered up with patients right now hurt in the storms.

Just got power back after 4 days. No damage here but it was all around me. There are enough tree's down around the area to supply every one with at least a years worth of wood.

Alabama was absolutely hammered. The area around us was mainly tree's down and housed damaged by the tree's. As far as I know just a very few buildings actually damaged by the tornadoes in my town.

But other parts of the state are devastated. Many lives lost, homes lost, etc. Please consider a donation to relief efforts. Many many people lost everything and many have nothing to fall back on.

I am looking for a link, but I know one organization that is taking online donations and 100% will go to victims of the tornadoes. Red Cross is of course another great group. I remember many years ago when we were hit by a tornado, the Red Cross came though with the truck bringing hot meals to me and my neighbors. That was one of the best meals I ever ate.

Last edited:
Great news Jeff!!!! :D:thumb::D
We have 4 DMAT teams deployed in the region and I heard yesterday that they are treating up to 400 people a day. Although we are paid by the Gov't...keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Not since Haiti have I seen anything like this...no way to imagine what you guys are going through but the victims are in all of our thoughts and prayers daily. Red Cross is great to donate to. Also look into Convoy of Hope...one of my favorites http://www.convoyofhope.org/ is there now making sure prople are fed.

Great news Jeff!!!! :D:thumb::D
We have 4 DMAT teams deployed in the region and I heard yesterday that they are treating up to 400 people a day. Although we are paid by the Gov't...keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Not since Haiti have I seen anything like this...no way to imagine what you guys are going through but the victims are in all of our thoughts and prayers daily. Red Cross is great to donate to. Also look into Convoy of Hope...one of my favorites http://www.convoyofhope.org/ is there now making sure prople are fed.

hey jim have yu by any chance heard of any aid coming from other countries to help out our disaster strickend south? or are we doing it alone ?

We aren't getting any help Larry. There has never been any aid from any foreign country to a diaster on US soil. Canada sent search dogs just after 9-11.

I was just watching nbc news and they were showing how the college students who were not having classes due to the storms and damage were driving around in trucks offering assistance to anyone who wanted it.(they could have went home, but they chose to help out the communities around their school)
. Good kids.

The amount of damage just blows my mind. We had a lot of damage around madison/east limestone, probably couple hundred houses destroyed within 20-30 miles of me, but I didnt' realize how much worse it was around tuscaloosa, hackelberg-mount hope areas, etc till I had internet long enough to look at it.

Donated blood and helped some cleanup last weekend. Power is up around here now. My company and a bunch of others are sending people to help the worse areas now that they can get organized. It should help having power in the more populated areas, lot of people up here want to help now that they don't have to worry about their own families. The local radios asking for clothing donations, working on that now.

Are you in alabama too jeff?