Some times I think I should not have contributed to the gene pool

Julio Navarro

It was enough to ruin my summer.

I have been working on my kitchen island and all has been going like a charm until I was routing the raised panels for the four large drawer fronts.

I edge glued the panels using biscuits....yup, you guessed it.... The darn biscuits showed up on the edge of all the boards.:doh::bang::mad::thud:

Not sure how to fix something like that short of new boards.

I may just leave it like that.

Soon as I find the memory stick I will post photos.

:(

either make a new front, ofcourse you know that, or chisel out the biscuit carefully.(I just had this problem on the bartop I made, but not as visible as a drawer front)
After you chisel out the biscuit, cut a piece of wood the same grain orientation and tap it in place with a bit of glue. After its nice and dry, sand it down. Once finish is applied, at least it will blend in same color and wont be as noticable as a white slice of different colored wood.

Im an amateur, but where I did this it was just about not noticed. hope this helps somewhat. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Thanks Allen, I will probably do something like that. I still have about 3" of board from that same piece and your solution might just work.

Thanks again.

Allen's solution is best - short of making all new panels. Done right, it'll be nearly invisible. Use hide glue instead of the yellow stuff, though. It'' show less under finish.

As for the biscuit joiner - after many years of varied usage, the only things I ever use it for now are to reinforce miters, and to install face frames on cabinet carcases. For glue-up alignment, I find biscuits useless, and it's been proven many times over that a plain glue joint, properly done, is stronger than the wood itself, so why mess with biscuits?

Allen's solution is best - short of making all new panels. Done right, it'll be nearly invisible. Use hide glue instead of the yellow stuff, though. It'' show less under finish.

As for the biscuit joiner - after many years of varied usage, the only things I ever use it for now are to reinforce miters, and to install face frames on cabinet carcases. For glue-up alignment, I find biscuits useless, and it's been proven many times over that a plain glue joint, properly done, is stronger than the wood itself, so why mess with biscuits?

Agree Jim, learned my lesson. I almost never use biscuits, I could kick myself.

here is the problem and progress of the solution.

Island waiting for the top and finish.

Second picture shows biscuit showing through. I cut a notch out and fit a plug neatly in.

The grain should be similar since it came from a piece of the board. When the panel is routed the grain should follow the same direction. I am hoping for as smooth as possible match.

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 55
here is the problem and progress of the solution... I am hoping for as smooth as possible match.

It ought to match up fairly well.

How wide will the countertop overhang be? If it's several inches, put the patched panel in with the patch at the top, and the overhang will hide it better. Short people might see it, but the taller ones never will. :D:D

It ought to match up fairly well.

How wide will the countertop overhang be? If it's several inches, put the patched panel in with the patch at the top, and the overhang will hide it better. Short people might see it, but the taller ones never will. :D:D

:rofl: short people = my mother in law she'll most definitely see it. Unfortunately this one goes on the lower drawer but I can make it the upper lower.