I Think Bosch Upped the Bar on Portable TS again!

Great-looking design. :thumb: Looks very road-worthy.

Wow....4 Horse power.....that little guy has some muscle

That's "4" horsepower using the same rating system that's used for routers and shop vacuums. ;) According to the specs, it's pulling 15 running amps, which puts it more in the 1.5 hp range running on 120 volts. Even if the motor is 100% efficient (pretty much an impossibility), at 15 amps it's got fewer than 2.5 hp running on 120 volts.

Wow....4 Horse power.....that little guy has some muscle

That's where I laughed.

Is this "4 hp" like the "15 HP" claims that they put on shop vacs?
I can barely carry the 2HP motor from my TS. So when I see this guy swinging around a light TS and the announcer claims 4HP, my BS detector goes off....;)

Otherwise, I admit it looks like a very innovative and well thought out design. Is 18" really enough rip capacity?

...art

I agree, I laughed at that claim as well. More like the old Sears claims on their motors "develops 4 hp" I have a 3 hp motor on my cabinet saw that drives the blade with 3 belts. The motor alone has to be around 75 pounds.

Bosch does make a good portable ts though. I have had mine for several years, bouncing around in my truck and different jobsites. It still cuts like the day I bought it. Great piece of equipment compared to some of the other portable TS's out there.

I think those horsepower claims are based on putting a brake on the shaft and it's the 'max' power it can develop right before it catches fire and explodes all over the shop...:rofl:

I think those horsepower claims are based on putting a brake on the shaft and it's the 'max' power it can develop right before it catches fire and explodes all over the shop...:rofl:

Yeppers, that's pretty much it. ;) Most motors can reach their peak horsepower only once. Once they let the smoke out, not so much. :p

Since I'll be in the market and $400 is out of my budget range...what's good in the 200 smacker range...light use...mostly long rips and the like.

Since I'll be in the market and $400 is out of my budget range...what's good in the 200 smacker range...light use...mostly long rips and the like.

I don't think I've seen any tablesaws in the $200 range that I'd want to spend the money on. I had a little $100 portable from the Borg (similar to this one, but a different brand), and now that I've used a better saw, I've realized how bad (and potentially dangerous) the little saw really was. Everything about it was a compromise. If you buy a $200 one, you'll be looking to replace it before too long. My suggestion would be to save up and just get a better one from the get-go.

You would be better off looking for something used. As Vaughn says. 200 dollars wont get you much in the new department except a big bag of frustration.

Craig's list, maybe even a used tool store if there is one in your area. They're out there, you may be surprised and find a good old contractors saw that is still serviceable

Universal motors develop more power, because of the wound armature. I learned that back in grade 10 shop class. The more load you apply, the amps increase, creating a larger magnetic field, making more hp. Now you know!