A bunch of pens (first post... hope it works)

Dave Minnich

Folks, I've been lurking for a while, but thought I'd post some pics of recent pen projects.

The burls for these 3 Executive pens are (bottom to top):Madrone, Amboyna, Black Ash.
executive_burls.jpg

These Polaris pens are (bottom to top): Corian (I don't know the pattern name), Redwood Burl, East Indian Rosewood, blue & gold stabilized Boxelder burl, and Cocobolo.
polaris.jpg

Those have been around a while.

The two Majestics are my most recent projects; first two of that type that I've made. The first is curly koa,
majestic_koa.jpg
and the second is amboyna burl.
majestic_amboyna.jpgmajestic_amboyna2.jpg

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
A great looking group of Writing Instruments Dave.
Excellent Form, Fit and finish along with a nice choice of plating's complement the timbers.
Well done.:thumb:
What is your finishing process and material application?

Les

Thanks for the comments, folks.

@Tom, yeah, I'm kind of partial to the koa myself.

@Les, my basic prep is always the same. Unless there's significant shaping to do (as in, I'm worried about tearout and decide to sand to shape rather than use a tool), then I start with 220 grit sandpaper, then a couple of grits of Mirlon abrasive pads, and finish with micro mesh through 12000. I've seen some folks suggesting no need to progress with the micro mesh that high, but I like the results. The finishes represented in the photos vary... the corian was polished with 1-step plastic polish. The Morado Polaris was was one of the first pens I ever made, and I used a friction polish with far too much wax and far too little laquer. The rest are a BLO and CA finish, typically 3 coats, but more in the case of the Majestics. Also, the Majestics were topped off with a coat of beeswax and buffed on the mandrel with a soft cloth.