Larger compressor questions

I can't see why that idea wouldn't work Charlie, but like you, I'd like to hear from someone who's done it.
I saw an ad here for a 60 gal tank and compressor, but no motor, for $150. I think it would need 5hp, but what would the other specs be, rpm etc? I seem to recall from some of the Bill Pentz discussions that compressor motors were a breed apart. Haven't seen it, nor do I know it's age or condition. Might check it out next week.
Getting a little tired of lugging the so-called "portable" hotdog compressor around. I wonder how much 1/4 inch line you could run off that for light jobs like nailing, inflating, dust blowing etc?
Thanks
Peter

You could run a couple hundred feet of line for jobs like this, for blowing things clean, it will run your little hotdog to death though, and inflating tires at this distance will also take more time, but very doable. if you were to add a 5 or 10 gallon tank inline somewhere, then it would make a very strong improvement in the performance you were seeking, though not as ideal as a big compressor and some 1/2 or 3/4 line, but it would hold you over.:D

compressor questions

Peter, I wouldn't think that a used tank & compressor without a motor is any
real reason to get worried about buying it, unless the compressor is locked up
or severly damaged in some way. A few years back, I traded my small 20 gallon roll around compressor to a friend of mine for a large 60 gallon horizontal unit with a heavy duty twin cylinder cast iron 1725 rpm pump and a 2hp motor.

After a couple of years, the motor started giving some trouble, so I replaced
with a new motor and put it back to work (old motor not worth repairing).
Oh! I forgot to mention, the new to me compressor, was at least 50-60 years old when I bought it, and had been used in an old service station until it had been torn down. I have the compressor outside the shop, with a cover roof over it between my roll up shop door and my walk-in door. This old unit is not very loud or irritating like the newer ones are. We could be standing right beside it while is is running and carry on a normal conversation without any interruptions at all! Reason for putting unit outside it is BIG and takes up a fair amount of space so it sits outside with a permanent steel pipe going through the wall for my airlines. When it comes to
air compressors...I like the big ones, good pressure, loads of air volume,
and low maintenance! I use all types of air tools, all the time,angle grinders, ratchets, impact tools,pinners, brad nailers, and others as well..like the air tools. Jim