Art Mulder

Just back from a short 2hr roadtrip, and look what I "found"... :champagne:

Image0143.jpg
Image0145.jpg
Image0146.jpg

It's now safe in my garage.
IMG_7764.jpg
:woohoo:

I need to find some strong friends to help me get it down the stairs to my basement shop. Grizzly says it weighs 418lbs. Oooh, my back. Not sure how much it weighs with the table off like I've got it now. THAT was heavy enough carrying downstairs. How does that go again? Oh yeah: "Oooh, my back" :D

Once I get it down there and get 220 wired up I'll be back here to dig through some of Glenn Bradley's posts on how he's macgyver'd his G0513X. :thumb:

And I'll bet you found the poor thing stranded by the side of the road, huh? You are such a caring, giving person to provide that unfortunate saw a nice home. Well done, Mr. Mulder. :D

If you weren't in a whole other country, I'd offer to go help get it down the stairs. :p Looks like it's in great shape. I'd love to have a saw in that size class, and that model is high on my list.

And I'll bet you found the poor thing stranded by the side of the road, huh? You are such a caring, giving person to provide that unfortunate saw a nice home. Well done, Mr. Mulder. :D

If you weren't in a whole other country, I'd offer to go help get it down the stairs. :p Looks like it's in great shape. I'd love to have a saw in that size class, and that model is high on my list.

Worse... the owner had it caged up in a single car garage tied down with a twist-lock plug, so it couldn't escape on it's own...:rolleyes:

Seriously, I've been wanting a new (taller/more-resaw) bandsaw for a while. Almost bought the new General International 14" deluxe on sale a few months ago, but backed out for some reason. Couple folks advised me to go for the heft of a 17" and never look back. So I kept waiting. This one popped up on the Canadian forum yesterday at a sweet price. The owner is moving back to BC and is dumping almost his entire shop.

And I'm probably going to take Larry's advice and keep my old 14"BS with a skinny blade in it for curves.

One thing it doesn't have is a brake, and the newer models do have that.

They are a great saw. I hav the regular 513 and like it other then the 2hp motor on it. We up it to 5hp and now it works better. You should be able to resaw 12" hardmaple with it with s good 1" blade on there.:thumb:

Very nice road trip!

The only thing that bothers me though, the table looks a bit small for such a big bandsaw...:huh:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Let us know how you like it!!

The only thing that bothers me though, the table looks a bit small for such a big bandsaw...:huh:

That 70lb beast is down in the shop already... ;)

(I just weighed it, as I want to know how much the rest of the saw actually weighs now, so I can tell people when I ask for some help.

Grizzly says the saw weighs 345lbs, so that means it's about 275lbs now, with the table off.)

Dang, Art. That saw ain't on my wish list... it's way better than anything I ever hope to have... :thumb:

As for getting it downstairs: here's a wild idea. Take it apart!

Seriously. To tell the truth, I never really understood my bandsaw until I had to take it apart to fix it. It's not hard, it turns out they're pretty simple machines. Believe it or not, having had the thing completely in pieces, I'm way more comfortable with it now, and use it much more wisely.

It's worth a try. Might even save your back... and the drywall lining the stairwell... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Art,

You will regret it forever if you sell your current bandsaw...wide blade on the big one and narrow on the old one. If you don't believe me, just ask Glenn.

I know it is not a good trait, but I am jealous!!!

When you get a big wide blade on that machine and are resawing, you can think of me over in the corner crying my eyes out.

Enjoy it for both of us,

Jim