The Future is Now.....

fun to watch, but i wonder how much $$ was used on this waste of time?

About 10 million, for the whole lab. Of course, there are multiple activities:

"The General Robotics, Automation, Sensing and Perception (GRASP) Laboratory integrates computer science, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering in a vibrant, collaborative environment that fosters interactions between students, research staff and faculty. GRASP has grown into a $10 million research center with impressive technological innovations. Pioneering GRASP researchers are building autonomous vehicles and robots, developing self-configuring humanoids, and making robot swarms a reality. Our doctoral students are trained in theory and practice and mentored to become leaders in research and education."

Some of their other projects: https://www.grasp.upenn.edu/research/highlights

Some very cool stuff there... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

When I stop and think about this the applications are unlimited. Personally I love the educational applications with the quad rotors in terms of getting them to successfully fly and perform a task.

I can imagine a lot of things this technology could be used for.

Very cool stuff, that's for sure. :thumb:

the wright brothers paid for it out of their own pockets, not on the taxpayer's dime.

I'm guessing you have evidence this came from taxpayer money?

https://www.grasp.upenn.edu/about/history

And even if I did help pay for it, I don't think it's a waste of time. (I have the same sentiments about NASA, too.) The goal was not to build toy towers with toy helicopters. The goal was to determine and learn the science and engineering necessary to do so. That knowledge can and will be applied to other, more practical uses.

that sort of research is vital to simply Building the Knowledge base here in the USA, without funding that kind of research, we will be at a disadvantage vs those who choose to Invest in the future. Is it practical now? no, but it is showing the way where it could be someday.

that sort of research is vital to simply Building the Knowledge base here in the USA, without funding that kind of research, we will be at a disadvantage vs those who choose to Invest in the future.

Exactly. In fact, it's our only option: research like this today is our best hope for jobs tomorrow.

I note, with just a touch of irony, that Penn is a *private* university. It wouldn't surprise me if a big chunk of their funding comes from corporations and foundations, who know the value of applied research. That said, they do have partnerships with public institutions, but that's pretty standard in the world of research universities...

Thanks,

Bill