Do you change your engine oil yourself?

Amazing how dumb some nicely produced videos can be. At first I thought the array of needed tools was sponsored by JiffyLube, to discourage Harry Homeowner from trying the job.

Wow!

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years. I'm going to have to go out and get some more tools now!

Why would you use the 3/8 air ratchet when you break the bolt free with an end wrench first? After it is broken free you can un-thread it by hand before you could crawl out to get the air tool. Some peoples are just goofy.:rolleyes:

Well it sort of makes sense - Campbell Hausfeld won't sell too many compressors, air ratchets and butterfly impact wrenches if you do it by hand . . .

You don't need the ramps/jack stands if you can shinny under the car. I have a 2008 Toyota I can do the oil on while it's sitting on the ground.

I can't do the job for much less money than Jiffy Lube, but it keeps those gentlemen away from my car. Last time I went to one of those places the bely pan on my VW Passat was reinstalled wrong and fell off at highway speeds.

Cheers

Jim

The filter remover is kind of cool. More than once I've had to jam my screwdriver thru the filter to take it off:eek:
Don't think I would install the drain plug with the air wrench though.

I use these to remove my oil filter. I've tried just about everything else on the market including the screwdriver method, strap/chain wrenches, and this is my favorite. Besides, it looks cool and I can chase my kids with it.:D

Channellock oil filter pliers...I got mine at Homey's Depot.

209.jpg

Guess I have to go buy some air tools, my old hand wrenches and filter strap aren't in fashion this season. :rofl:

I usually use a dab of grease to lube the filter gasket, never had one stick before. My son didn't listen to me about this and just put his on without lube. Last time he changed the oil the old filter came off without it's gasket. He didn't notice and put the new filter on. He filled it back up, started the car and started to pull the car out to the street. The car spewed oil all the length of the driveway before he notice. :doh: Got home and he had a whole bottle of dawn used up scrubbing down the driveway. It shed water pretty well for the next few months though. ;) :D