Some flat work for the church

Chuck Thoits

The church a few towns over is having some troubles wit there railing. So we got the nod to build them new ones. The city folks in charge think we should be building it out of this Kleer stuff so we are. I can tell you that this Kleer stuff is easy to work with but I have my reservations about using it.
We are building a 2 x 4 frame out of PT and covering it with 4 x 8 x 1/2 and 4 x 10 x 1/2 sheets of smooth Kleer. Than routing it 5" OC with a v bit to give it the v match look.
The stack of 8 small ones are just under 5 feet long by 3 feet tall. The big ones on the trailer are a tad over 16 feet long by 4 feet tall.

Attachments

• tn_church1 001.JPG
    tn_church1 001.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_church1 008.JPG
    tn_church1 008.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 86
  • tn_church1 007.JPG
    tn_church1 007.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 88
  • tn_church1 005.JPG
    tn_church1 005.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 99
  • tn_church1 004.JPG
    tn_church1 004.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 86
  • tn_church1 003.JPG
    tn_church1 003.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 98
  • tn_church1 002.JPG
    tn_church1 002.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
http://www.homechannelnews.com/article/kleer-lumber-enters-decking-market

Kleer is extruded cellular PVC with a small cell microstructure that can be used in any non-load bearing application for results that are superior to wood in exterior applications. Kleer has a density that is similar to white pine and a matte finish that looks like painted wood. Kleer’s unique range of physical properties allows it to look and feel like wood without experiencing the problems associated with wood in exterior applications.

If that's the same stuff I'm thinking of, I know a few fellas who've used it for dashboards, storage lockers etc. on their boats....seems to hold up great weather-wise. If it is what I'm thing about, it's smooth one side & wood grain simulated on the other......IMO{fwiw} = :thumb:

Vaughn McMillan Never heard of Kleer. What kind of material is it?
Brent Dowell What he said :thumb:

Jonathan Shively So what are the cut outs or U shaped openings Chuck? If it is a railing, will this Kleer go on both sides eventually?
No it is only one side. As for the cut outs :dunno::dunno: Gun ports?

Too wide for gun ports. I'm thinking these will go up top on the parapets. The wider width will work better for the archers. :thumb:

So Festool makes a router track for their router and a track saw with a track saw track?......well you know what I mean......:rofl:

No, they make a track and have attachments to slide a saw or a router along the track. Same track for both tools. I'm not sure if you can use other brands of saws and routers with the Festool track.

I do know that the EZ Smart system (a similar track and tool sliding system) can accept a variety of different saws and routers, and it's also highly regarded by owners of the system. Not quite the brand loyalty of Festool owners, but still well spoken of.

If I was doing much work with sheet goods at all, I'd want to have either a Festool or EZ Smart system. (DeWalt makes one too, and I probably wouldn't kick one of those out of my shop either.)

Some more parts made to the railing:thumb:
And one red dog ready to play ball at a seconds notice:thumb::thumb::thumb:
First pic is of the festool cutting up the last sheet.
In the second pic you can see the red dog laying to the right . If you look straight over the pile of PVC board you can see a tail. Yes that is an 80 lb yellow dog and the tail is the only thing that sticks out of his hole. And yes he is standing up.
pics 6 and 7 are of the *jig* that I made to make sure that the point is straight with the box. It is centered on the sides and has a center mark on it.
In the eighth pic you can see the 4 shortest posts with the tops on them laying to the left of the one standing up. The standing one is the middle sized post with the top just setting on it. And on the right is the big posts laying on the ground. The big posts are 2 foot square and 8 foot tall with out the point.

Attachments

• tn_church 3 008.JPG
    tn_church 3 008.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_church 3 007.JPG
    tn_church 3 007.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 41
  • tn_church 3 006.JPG
    tn_church 3 006.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_church 3 005.JPG
    tn_church 3 005.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 39
  • tn_church 3 004.JPG
    tn_church 3 004.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
  • tn_church 3 003.JPG
    tn_church 3 003.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 40
  • tn_church 3 002.JPG
    tn_church 3 002.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 40
  • tn_church 3 001.JPG
    tn_church 3 001.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 39
  • tn_church 3 012.JPG
    tn_church 3 012.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Well, you've got me. With all those spikey things, I can't even imagine what these might look like once installed.... :huh: