National Museum of the Air Force

That brings back some memories. I grew up about 35 miles from there and that was the best school field trip we took. (Sixth grade, 1966) At that time, it was known as Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum and only had the Early Years and WWII buildings. It didn't take quite so long to go thru it. :rofl:

Ike

It's been a couple of years since I wsa there. I'm ready to go back. And if you can do it all in one day, you've either rushed through it, or missed a bunch of it. I was sure disappointed when word came down that the NAFM would not get one of the shuttles. That would have been a tremendous addition to the museum. Also, noone has mentioned the fact that unless you buy something from the gift shop or something to eat from the cafe, it's all ABSOLUTLY FREE! It won't cost you a dime. I highly recommend the Air Force Museum to anyone who enjoys the history of aviation. It's fun to see just how big (or how small) some of these airplanes are. Just seeing them on TV or in books doesn't do them justice.

It is great

I live in Dayton, and I can tell you that the Air Force Museum is the finest aviation museum in the world. While the emphasis is on the Air Force (and Army Air Corps), it is worth the trip. Totally Free. Mostly staffed by volunteers.
It is very well done, constantly changing, always being enhanced, BIG (way bigger then the air and space museum in Washington), very clean and just plain fun. Many one of a kind planes are inside. There is a IMAX theater on site if you want to take a break from walking.

While in town, You can also visit the sites where the Wright Brothers lived, worked and flew their planes.

The Dayton 'area' also has the most extensive bicycle trails in the nation. No joke, just check it out online.

So, if you are coming to town and need some advice on other things to do or where to eat, shoot me a message.