Impressive inexpensive drill

Bob Gibson

I was in need of a new drill/driver. My 4 14.4 volt Makitas are down to one battery that only holds half a charge.

I could not justify spending over $100 to try out the Bosch, Dewalt, Makita or PC 12 volt lithium Ion drills. There was a coupon in the weekly flyer from Harbor Freight for their version of the 12 volt LI drill. For $35.00 I figured that I couldn't go too wrong in giving it a try.

I am impressed. This tool is lightweight, has tons of power and is very comfortable to use. I built my wife a platform for her washer and dryer plus a new outfeed table for my TS. Probably have driven over 200 1-1/4" and 2-1/2" screws with no signs of the battery wearing down. It would bury the head of the screws when attaching 3/4" A/C plywood into PT 2x4s.

The only downside to the tool is that the charger is quite large and the forward reverse switch is slightly awkward to use. Other than those two minor issues I can't find any negatives at all. Obviously I was pleasantly surprised. I kind of expected the chuck to wobble slightly or have problems keeping the bits tight but it was as good as any keyless chuck I've used.

Several of their flyers have a coupon for $34.99. I have several extra coupons if anyone is in need of one.

www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=12+volt+drill

Good review Bob. Some of their tools greatly surprise me. My dad had some anchors to install in concrete so he bought two of their hammer drills expecting to use both of them. The first one out of the box did the whole job. He gave me the other one, wouldn't let me take the used one, said he knew it was a good one and was keeping it for himself!

Good review Bob.

It doesn't surprise me that they build some decent stuff. I worked in manufacturing several years ago. I was surprising how many things we built for "other" competitors. Over two-thirds of the machines that came off our lines had our competitors logos on them built to their specs. Had three companies machines built side by side using many of the same parts, just a different case and logo when it went out the door.

Good review Bob. Some of their tools greatly surprise me. My dad had some anchors to install in concrete so he bought two of their hammer drills expecting to use both of them. The first one out of the box did the whole job. He gave me the other one, wouldn't let me take the used one, said he knew it was a good one and was keeping it for himself!

I bought one of those - and sprang for the 'two year free replacement' for it, because I didn't figure one would last thru the tile removal job I needed it for. It turned out to be a great tool - suprisingly - and was more than up to the test of removing 200 ft² of mud-bedded ceramic floor tile.

I got mine with a coupon, for somewhere around $50.00,. The local rental yard wanted $40.00 per day for essentially the same tool, but with a well known brand (Bosch) on it. I figured that it was cheaper to buy than rent, and this time it actually worked that way! :thumb:

Thanks for the review, Bob. I've been using a Milwaukee 12v LiIon drill/driver daily at work, and I'm totally sold on the 12v LiIon tools. I really like my Hitachi 14v tools, but the NiCad batteries are only good for about a year before they won't hold a charge overnight. I may have to give the Harbor Freight 12v LiIon driver a try. (It costs less than a replacement battery for my Hitachi.)

I know there's some risk in buying Harbor Freight tools, but I'm close enough to one of their stores that I can take it back for a refund or replacement without too much trouble. I've gotten a lot of use out of my Harbor Freight close quarters drill, but I know Stu in Tokyo had the same model and it didn't last him a month. Unfortunately for him, returning it was not a viable option.

My experience with HF is that they do have some nice tools among the low quality stuff. Thanks, Bob, for the fine review. I've hankered after a 12v LI drill, but couldn't justify the $100 +/- the name brands sell for.

I have a theory/impression/gut feeling that there is really no such thing as a "Harbor Freight" tool.
I believe what they sell are simply sold by HF with no specifications to the manufacturer.
e.g. (my unsupported gut impression) they get a solicitation from a manufacturer: " 'rechargable 14v hand drill' $XXXXX.XX per 100 gross plus shipping and import fees." They buy and sell without any quality control.
Even a blind hog finds the truffle now and then.
You got lucky. And, yes, I do buy some items from HF now and then. They fill a place in the market.
Mostly what I buy fit in the category of one-time use or once a year use.

...I do buy some items from HF now and then. They fill a place in the market.
Mostly what I buy fit in the category of one-time use or once a year use.

That's pretty much my 'buying guide' for them, too. Gotta say, I've never really been 'stung' there, though. As long as you go in with your eyes wide open, and no great expectations, you're less likely to be disappointed.