little gloat

Jim Burr

I sent some hand planes off to a benefactor for rebuilding. He and I swap stuff now and then and he's a great guy...or so I thought! I get the box with my planes back yesterday and there is also this inside. You can see the curl in the picture...which doesn't happen often. He just became a greater guy IMHO. See that plane on the left in the middle pic?...that's not one of mine. He sent it to me for a canoe build I'm doing. I see some pens in those blanks :thumb:

Thanks again sir!!!!:wave:

Attachments

• plane blanks.jpg
    plane blanks.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 76
  • plane box.jpg
    plane box.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 72
  • planes.jpg
    planes.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 62
I told him I just cleaned out (part of) my scrap barrel so I could fill up the box. After all, bubble wrap isn't green or organic! :D

Later, I'll post the saga of the refurbs, and some before/after pix.

You know what's really pathetic...years ago, my brother gave me a plane for Christmas...Shelton that needed refurbishing. I opened my present and my brother said "Oh...I'll show you how to do it" He never did. I watched my BIL open his and my brother gave him a freshly rebuilt and shiny Stanley #2...my brother did all the work himself. I did the work on the Shelton and found out later...about a month ago, that they are a piece of crap...$14 on ebay. We have never spoken much, he's mad at me for this and my wifes mad at his wife for that...Family life is just to die for!

The planes came out looking great. I'll bet they're nice to use, too. :thumb:

Real shame he sent you that ugly ol' scrap wood, though. I can tell from the crossgrain lines in the pics that his bandsaw sure is doing a jagged job in the resawing department. :p