big storm

Frank Fusco

We had lalapalooza of a thunderstorm last night. I was watching and have never seen such a powerful combination of wind and rain with hail. Upside is it may have blown all the 'hangers' (dead left over branches from the 2009 ice storm) down from the trees. They fall constantly, are a hazard and are a daily chore to pick up.
Downside, and I do mean "down" is several large trees on my property came down. Fortunately, no serious damage occurred. The big one in the pics stood about 90' from the back of the house. The top branches only brushed the house. Another ten feet closer and there would have been extensive damage.
Now, I have to limb it, cut it up, haul and have hauled away all the wood. Then I have to get the stump grinder guy back to get rid of the stump and hole in ground. :( I really love spending my SS check on stuff like that. :(
'Twas an exciting evening last night. I was watching a thrilling autopsy show on TV, phone kept ringing for the wife. Then the storm started. I lit a couple candles and not as a religious observance. Rounded up some flashlights, the crank power and battery operated radios and set back for whatever.
Then the power went out. Then I looked outside. There was enough lightening to see what was happening. Just then this big tree fell only feet from where I was watching through my office window.
When the rain abated I looked outside to see about starting the generator. (my wife likes it when the flush toilets work, we are on a well.)
I could see it would take some chain saw work to get to the generator. Uh-Oh! Power is out and that means the door on the garage (not the door in the pic, that is the shop) wouldn't open. And, the side people door was locked and I have no idea where the key is :huh: as we never use it. And, even if I had the key there is much 'stuff' piled against the door, lumber included, I wouldn't be able to open it. :eek: And the chainsaw is inside garage. I like being well prepared. :eek:
So, being wise an resourceful, I went outside for my final ablution of the day and went to bed. Wife stayed up with her flashlight after I told her three toilets with one flush each remaining should last her the next hour or so. :rolleyes:
Amazingly, except for a dent in hood of truck, we sustained no damage. Insurance company inspector is coming anyway to make sure.
I have three oaks down, all fairly large. The one in pic has more than a 3' diameter trunk. I don't turn oak and don't want to, y'all are welcome to come help yerselves to all you want. Bring yer chainsaw. ;)
Have ye ever read Tom Sawyer? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• tree top.jpg
    tree top.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 54
  • tree butt.jpg
    tree butt.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 54
Wow, those wind must of been something :eek::eek:

I know what you mean bout hangers. I still have a bouch of them, mostly on huge old pines. They come crashing down and sometimes stick 18" or more in the ground. Worries the heck out of me that someone might be standing under them when they come down.

It is a strange weather year for almost the entire country.
Only a few hundred miles west of Arkansas there are draught conditions for parts of OK and Texas. Less than 100 miles east they are under water, as much as 25 feet.
I really don't have a complaint. The storm was exceptional but not devastating.

The big tree is on the way to being cut up and out of here.
But, the amazing part is who is doing the cutting.
My neighbor who is, at least, ten years older than me, did it. Physically he looks in great shape. Flat tummy, good muscle definition and an incredibly hard worker. I cleared some limbs and a small (8") tree but he did all this himself today. He uses an old Craftsman chain saw that doesn't work unless you cuss at it regularly.
Actually, what he does embarrasses me, I simply cannot keep up with him.
We should call him "Super Senior".
He is doing me a favor. "Want some free firewood? Take what you want." ;) And I get it cleared for free.:rolleyes:
Two other downed trees will be taken by another neighbor.
Has anyone else here ever read Tom Sawyer? :D