For those of you who chop your own fire wood

Very clever. Would require that your wood is pretty straight grained and clear though. We had some pine last year that we bought for kindling. It came split, but the chunks were pretty big.

Some of the chunks had branches growing through it that made them a real bear to chop.

I might have to try a variation on that theme next year when I make kindling. :thumb:

That would have real handy back when I had a wood burn stove, I can't remember how mant time I had to chase that piece of wood and all the bending over to pick it up. This guy is a genius. :bang:

I have never seen wood that split that easily.
Bring him here and have him try that on hickory, white oak or, best of all Blackjack oak.
Can I say "bit bouncing off wood" here? ;)
What he did was hardly even exercise.

I have never seen wood that split that easily.
Bring him here and have him try that on hickory, white oak or, best of all Blackjack oak.
Can I say "bit bouncing off wood" here? ;)
What he did was hardly even exercise.

My thoughts exactly. He barely lifted the maul shoulder high, let alone get a full swing! That was some sweet looking straight grained softwood of some kind. Bet it burns hot, and fast....

I've gotten fairly proficient at chopping pine kindling this past winter. No longer have to ask Brent for help :rofl::rofl:

Good thing our hardwood already comes in fireplace ready pieces.

The forest service cuts down trees in the Sierra's (on our side of the mountain) and advertise if you want to come and rough cut and haul, it's free. Maybe we'll do that some year instead of paying someone to deliver wood.