My current project

Rich Soby

I am in the process of building a kitchen for a client. The cabinets will be constructed of natural cherry along with a maple island, sinkbase, window seat which will be sprayed in a deep blue poly. The window seat and the island will have 1-1/2" thick solid cherry tops and the island will have a pair of turned legs to support the eating area. The top is going to be 56"w x 80" long with breadboard ends. I will post more pics as the project develops.
(pay no attention to the disorganization of my shop. It is tiny and I dont have nearly enough storage so things tend to rotate to unused spaces):huh::bang:

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/rsfinishcarpentry/Cherry kitchen build spring 2011/

Cool pics, Rich. Looking forward to seeing this project progress. :thumb: The piece that hit your hip looks like it was no fun at all. Made me sting just thinking about it. :eek:

I'm guessing the blue on your shirt wasn't all that was blue! That must have tickled a little bit to transfer the paint!

Looking good! Will be watching your build progress!

thanks everyone.
Yeah that shot off the tablesaw stung quite a bit. My wife heard it come off the saw, (it took off my overhead blade guard i couldnt believe it was fixable) bounced off my hip and split into two one piece hit the plastic trash barrel and ricocheted over the stairs the other slammed into my framing square that was sitting on top of my radial arm saw stand and both it and the square went flying into the cement wall. :eek:I only swore once, honest, I was too fascinated watching the shrapnel fly. Then I saw her halfway down the stairs with a bit of a shocked look on her face. Then she promptly shut me down for the afternoon..... (one of the biggest raspberries I have ever had!)

Hopefully today I will have the panels final sized and make the panel raising jig for my TS. These are not your typical raised panel and unfortunately I dont have a knife deep enough to cut them on the shaper :(.
More pics soon

Last edited:
Got all the raised panels cut and started sanding and sealing them. Hopefully should have some doors assembled by the end of the day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hmmm, another kitchen build.:eek: Could this be the most over rated room in the house??:dunno::rofl::rofl: Looking great so far Rich. :thumb::thumb:

I don't know if it is overrated but it is the most used and in many families the most popular.
Female real estate agents know that if the wife in a couple likes the kitchen and master bedroom the house is sold. No matter what the husband thinks or says.
I have a friend who is retired from a kitchen cabinet refinising business. He retired quite wealthy and is one of about a half dozen in the area in the same business. And this is not a large community. Seems the kitchen cabinet business might be something a beginning woodworker should consider. From what I see, that's where the money is.

I got the panels sealed with a spitcoat of dewaxed shellac and started assembling doors.
The maple panels for the island got a coat of blue ngr dye sprayed on and then a spit coat of shellac
Had a few boards that had some pitch pockets and a couple of knots. I filled those with epoxy dyed to match the knot hole and also the pitch pockets by mixing transtint dye into it.
If this link gives you trouble, link from my first post works.
Don't know why photo bucket is acting up....:bang:

http://s763.photobucket.com/albums/xx277/rsfinishcarpentry/Cherry kitchen build spring 2011/

Well.. doors are all made, hinge mortises all routed and I have spent the past few days spraying the finish. And just like when you see the trout rising and reach for your fly rod, the wind rises too. Well the temp dropped into the 50's and the humidity climbed so the finish gods have not been too kind to me.
Friday I sealed all the doors and face frames with a 1lb cut of dewaxed shellac and yesterday morning scuffed them all down. Sprayed the first coat of clear and it just sat there not doing anything...... so I dug out one of my space heaters and had it blowing over the doors, that finally got them moving. by 1 I had them all first coated both sides and they were looking beautiful, the finish was laying down nice and flat, no streaks, no drapes. Then..... on the final coat it started slowing down and must have been getting just a bit too cold as they all started "orange peeling".. not fun....
Especially as I was supposed to deliver the first batch that afternoon.:bang::bang::bang::doh:
Again this morning, got the space heater going, sanded the bad ones down to a smooth flat surface and sprayed again.. to no avail.. all orange peel again..
Well tomorrow is supposed to go into the 60's and I picked up another space heater. so Im keeping my fingers crossed that the finish gods are bored with me for now and will content themselves to a nice long nap so I can get these done.
Fortunately the clients are really awesome to deal with and know how frustrating and finicky finishes can be.
I did manage to get one cabinet completed and bring it by as well as one of the doors. They were thrilled!
Anyway, I uploaded some pics on how I mortise the leaf hinges and some of the processes to get to where I am right now. I will take more pics of the finished doors once I get the finish to cooperate and can then show some completed cabinets!

Well.. been working away at these cabinets. Those few cold days really messed me up timewise. Also, I didn't notice, but the client did when one of the cabinets I delivered, the doors were a different shade than the face frame. Took me a bit to figure out what happened as I didnt use anything different for a finish. The face frames finished fine but some of the doors were the victims of the too cold too humid orange peel adventure and were sanded down and re sprayed. The ambering of the finish darkened the doors more than the face frames....
Well, those cabs are all assemebled so I am going to have to brush on finish to the ff's to darken them to match the doors. The homeowner is fine (fortunately)
Anyway, more pics soon. Today is the day, they are going away for the long weekend, so I am going over to demo the old kitchen.
Who knows what I am going to find when I open this one up.:dunno: The house was built in 1810 but has been subject to different renovations over its lifetime.:huh:
Also the back half of the house where I will be working, the entire old floor, joists and all, were replaced with new framing and the kitchen was put in in the '70's or '80's, there is still remnants of the horsehair plaster and lathe in the ceiling but no idea on the walls..... gutting it right down to the studs.

Sounds like a good project. I have one suggestion, from experiences working with dye you need to be mindful of the clear sealer and clear coat. They will effectively change the value of the color intended. As the shellac yellows. Getting it right takes a little thought kind of like measure twice cut once. Look forward to seeing the end results.

well. started the demo today. got all the old cabinets out, and all the sheetrock off the walls as well as the soffit they framed in. I am hoping to be able to patch the sheet rock on the ceiling as I really don't want to deal with horsehair plaster that is underneath.......

A little more clean up tomorrow morning and I am ready for the plumber and electrician for next week. Then I can start putting it all back together.
The contractor that did the prior renovation put in all new framing over the existing and insulated so my job just became a little bit easier.

Sounds like a good project. I have one suggestion, from experiences working with dye you need to be mindful of the clear sealer and clear coat. They will effectively change the value of the color intended. As the shellac yellows. Getting it right takes a little thought kind of like measure twice cut once. Look forward to seeing the end results.

Thank you for the tip Dave. I always use dewaxed shellac as my sealcoat due to the inherant grain raising properties of waterborne finishes. I have found it to do quite a good job. As far as the dye on this one goes, I am only using it as a "primer" coat since the maple is so white, then I sealed with the shellac. I have a dark blue poly being sprayed over that as the finish coat.

Well.. the electician and the plumber have completed all the disconnects and roughed it to where I can start putting the room back together again. Only had to cut out a little bit of the ceiling but I still managed to get a face full of horsehair plaster..... I was joking about whether that was a palomino or a mustang that I just got a face full of and the homeowner says just be happy it wasnt a clydesdale lol.. that'll learn me to not have my mouth open when looking up.......
Anyway, I got the cement board and the blocking all installed yesterday, will finish patching in the sheetrock on the ceiling and rock the walls tomorrow. Hopefully will get the first coat of mud on the ceiling.
Discovered that the flooring wasnt just 1x white pine as I had figured earlier, it is t&g flooring in all odd ball widths. My supplier told me that they must have made it up custom or a prior carpenter made it for a prior homeowner...
Fortunately theres only about 30 boards I need to install so Ill be feeding the shaper for an hour one morning soon getting the new pine sized up and machined.
Going to spend the day today putting more cabinets together and delivering
More pics soon!

Started the installation over the weekend. Now that I have room in my shop I can finish making the rest of the cabinets and get the granite folks in there to template.
I still have the farm table island top to make, legs to turn and the skirt for the island.