Anyone having issues with Google/Bing/Yahoo/MSN searches?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I was at work today and my virus alert kept blocking every link I clicked in Google, even ones that I knew were valid. I soon noticed that every link in Google was going to www.google.com/go?XXXXXX. The XXXXXX was a different number for each link.

I thought this was a bit odd, so started to do some checking with my co-workers and none were having this same behavior from Google. I then tried IE and at first didn't have the issue, but then a few seconds later, all the links updated to the same suspicious Google URLs. I was now suspecting a virus or malware had made it on to my pc. I went to another pc and did some googling and found that there is a go.google.com malware/trojan that has this behavior. It modifies the host table on the pc to point google.com to an AD server so every google link opens a third party ad. Supposedly it affects Bing, Yahoo, and MSN as well.

To get rid of it, I ran the Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware (Free version, Download Now link), which found 4 infected files, one of which was a replacement host table file.

I'm still not sure how it got on my pc. I haven't installed any new software and usually will kill a browser that has any weird pop-ups. So must have been a windows bug or something. I ran the latest window's update and had them all. My Firefox was a patch behind, so could have been that.

Just wanted to let you all know what I was experiencing in case anyone else was having the issue and how to fix it. :wave:

Yeah! Malware bytes has saved me on several occasions. It doesn't always work but then again nothing does.

I think combofix is even more powerful, particularly to get the rootkits out.

I usually use a program called sandboxie to run the browsers. This runs the browser in it's shell and does not allow anything to get out of that shell..

Hadn't run into go.google.com virus, but now I know to keep my eyes open for it.

And thanks to Mohammad for the tip on Sandboxie. I'm giving it a try as I type. ;)

Must be going around. One of my customers got hit on two PCs with proxy hijackers this past week. I kept telling them it was just a matter of time with their "free" antivirus/malware software. You get what you pay for.

I fixed a buddy's computer last weekend that had picked up some type of nasty. His AVG Free was up to date, but only scheduled to run weekly. It fixed it in the first pass, though. Then I ran a few hours of Windows updates on his machine. He was running XP, but still didn't have SP3 or any of the other security updates that have followed it. :rolleyes:

The IT guy at my wifes school told me about Malaware Bytes and Spybot. Since I installed them no problems at all.
He also told me about Avast Anti Virus. Installed that and it works better than Norton or McAufee.
And, they are all free :D

They all seem fine to me. No probs.
I run four 'anti' programs. AVG Free, SpyBot S&D, Advanced System Care and Super Anti-Spyware.
Protect me well, not perfectly but well.
The guys who design the damaging stuff are very clever. It would be wonderful if they put their talents into positive ventures.

Just wanted to let you all know what I was experiencing in case anyone else was having the issue and how to fix it. :wave:

Darren,

I've been down that road lately. Tried stinger and the malicious software tool and malwarebytes. They all told me the machine was clean, even though I knew better. Ended up running something called rKill, and then ran malwarebytes again. That fixed its wagon...

Works as well as one of those old unix shell commands. You hit the switch, and the processes just die, like someone pulled their plug. A thing of beauty... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

I guess I've been lucky. Everything seems clean here. Malwarebyte's has always done a pretty good job for me as well, but I'll have to give that rKill a looksee...