Bright idea

Sure, get a lathe & some tools when you can't even sharpen pencils, dive right in without so much as turning on a light. I'm like a flower, yep... a blooming idiot...but then again, I guess for a noob using the handle's butt end to shape with, it could've been worse...well maybe not, but I'm sure building up a great supply of mulch, and having fun to boot...time to do some schoolin, at least on sharpnening...and maybe design, and sanding, and finishing and...:rofl:

mini-DSCF3553.jpg

mini-DSCF3541.jpg

mini-DSCF3539.jpg

Sorry to bore you all with these attempts, but in 20 or 30 years from now, when I'm a 'little' better at it, I think it will be cool to look back on and wonder...why in the world did I ever post such things :D :thumb:

Edit: I 'believe' the flower vase/candle holder is outta maple, and the lamp I have no clue, what we call scrub trees around here, they grow up thru the fences like weeds

Last edited:
in 20 or 30 years from now, when I'm a 'little' better at it, I think it will be cool to look back on and wonder...why in the world did I ever post such things :D :thumb:

Hey, nothing wrong with "early projects" ... especially when they're put to such good use! :thumb:

Actually, I see very little not to like. Maybe some room for improvement on proportioning and "crispness", but I'm not one to talk. I've had a lathe for ... 8+ years now? ... and have turned comparatively little. Your 3 lamps would probably equal half a year's worth of turning for me. :(

Keep cranking 'em out - that will help to keep people from noticing my lack of output. :rolleyes:

Both the vase and the lamp look real good for someone with your experience (or lack thereof). :thumb: The vase especially shows that your eye for curves is developing, and once you get some more hours under your belt (and shavings under your feet) the other elements (like design) will fall into place. Learning to sharpen will help you make a big step forward, as will getting more experience with tool technique. When those two points are covered, the sanding becomes a bit easier. ;)

Ken everybody starts somewhere. As noted sharpening will increase your finishing immensely, and of course practicing (that which you want to learn) helps too!
Pieces look good from over here. Sign/date em and chuck up the next piece!:thumb:

Thanks folks, I really am enjoying the ride, just seems like I'm sitting in the rear facing seat of a station wagon, not sure where I'm headed, but I can see I'm moving ;)

I'm learning that sharpening is definitely an art! I think the sandpaper takes a bigger bite than my tools. I took an old motor I had lying around, and threw a wheel on it from 'ol smokey' my previous grinder...much better results than I've been getting from the 1" belt sander, which I keep slicing...This wheel I'm using is way too coarse though and I'm waiting on the replacement I ordered. Now to learn the proper profiles{?-terminology}, for all I know, the guy who had these tools before me, knew as little as I do :dunno::doh::huh:.

I also think my jealousy of your all's work, over-powers my patience/confidence...yeah that must be it, could you all lower the bar a little until I catch up? :thumb::p:rofl:

Have a great weekend!

Edit: @ Bob, yes on the shade but that's now in the Missy's hands ;)