Lightscaping

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned in the Friday thread, I've been installing some landscaping lights around the yard as well as one in the fish pond, 28 so far. I haven't buried any of the cables yet as I wanted to wait until nightfall to check placement. I think I'm pretty close. Will probably be adding about 20-25 more lights, and another transformer, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

BackFence.JPG

Can see more pics here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/libertystainedglass/Lightscaping#

Looking really good, Darren. :thumb: Are you using real connections or the clip-on quickie connections? (The quickie connections worked for me for 6 or 7 years at my last house, but the better ones last longer.)

Darren, that looks amazing. I cannot imagine the work/effort to do this type of project. Are these in addition to security lighting or are they to do double duty and be for security reasons? At what point does a person turn on this type of lighting? When you are entertaining, or every evening?

Very cool Darren. :thumb: :thumb:

The previous owners had put in some lighting around the place by just burying regular hi-voltage romex. I don't trust that setup at all and have disabled all of them.

I've been thinking of redoing them with low voltage, but am just not hyped about all the digging I'd have to do in to run the lines.

Very cool Darren. :thumb: :thumb:

The previous owners had put in some lighting around the place by just burying regular hi-voltage romex. I don't trust that setup at all and have disabled all of them.

I've been thinking of redoing them with low voltage, but am just not hyped about all the digging I'd have to do in to run the lines.

Can't you just use the old romex wires to carry your low voltage to the new low voltage light fixtures? If the romex goes phooie for some reason, all that would happen is the low voltage breaker would trip.

Enjoy,

Jim

I suppose I could, if I wanted to save the old fixtures. But they are pretty beat up and if I was going to do it, I'd probably make some bigger changes as well.

For example one of the 'features' is a shallow little water feature. It's really just a dished out area of the ground with a mound in the middle right under some trees. I'd ust as soon get rid of it and put in something else.

So, like most project I would get myself into, it's one of those things that would probably snowball into something major...

Thanks for all the compliments. It's not done yet...so just wait. ;)

Looking really good, Darren. :thumb: Are you using real connections or the clip-on quickie connections? (The quickie connections worked for me for 6 or 7 years at my last house, but the better ones last longer.)
They are just a couple of the Malibu kits, so yes, just the quickie connectors. Once I get things the way I want them I may splice/solder the connections to make them a little more efficient.

I've always wondered...is the weather/rain etc. a problem with buried electrical wires? I mean, you're not running conduit everywhere, right?
They are just a low 12 volt system that is also plugged into GFI type plugs, so are pretty safe.

Darren, that looks amazing. I cannot imagine the work/effort to do this type of project. Are these in addition to security lighting or are they to do double duty and be for security reasons? At what point does a person turn on this type of lighting? When you are entertaining, or every evening?
I haven't buried anything yet, was pretty easy, just had to lay out the lights and then figure out the best route for the wires. I've got a lot of bushes and mulch, so will probably just bury them under the mulch and hide under the bushes where I can. Some are for security and will be left on all night, others are on a timer type transformer to shut off after midnight. I don't have any street lights, so these will really help to keep things visible around here.

Nice, that's going to make for some relaxing night swims :thumb:
Indeed! Though I found a baby copperhead in the skimmer the other day...not sure where momma is. :eek: :doh:

I suppose I could, if I wanted to save the old fixtures. But they are pretty beat up and if I was going to do it, I'd probably make some bigger changes as well.

For example one of the 'features' is a shallow little water feature. It's really just a dished out area of the ground with a mound in the middle right under some trees. I'd ust as soon get rid of it and put in something else.

So, like most project I would get myself into, it's one of those things that would probably snowball into something major...

Yup, This started to be a project to just light up around the pool. Then I need a few more lights and it was cheaper to buy the whole kit (also with wire and a additional transformer), but didn't need all the lights and hated for the extra transformer to go to waste, so lit up the front of the house. Also found an old pond light, a couple of stair lights, and a couple of 'up' lights from the old house, so couldn't let those go to waste either.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
One thing I meant to mention is that all three transformers are around 88 watt max. So running them wouldn't be much more than running four 60 watt bulbs, but this way I can spread out the light more.

Another thing I've found with the low voltage transformers is that it's better to load them up close to capacity. Say if I ran only ten 4 watt bulbs in 10 fixtures (40 watts total). I found that the bulbs burn out faster than if I ran ten 7 watt bulbs instead (70 watts) or added an additional ten 4 watt bulbs/fixtures (80 watts total).

You'll also have to account for some loss for a lengther run of cable and may have to increase the size (16 gauge to 14 or 14 to 12) for the longer runs.

If you see or hear airplanes circling your back yard getting ready to land, you have gone too far with the light. hee hee