Cabbage and Beef Soup

Mike Stafford

Mike Henderson did such a fine job with his recipes I almost feel embarrassed to post one of my favorite soup recipes without any pictures. You'll just have to take Big Mike's word that it is delicious and easy to make. This is a complete meal in a bowl. Enjoy!

Cabbage and Beef Soup

1-1½ pounds lean ground beef
½ t garlic salt
¼ t garlic powder
¼ t pepper
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, un-drained
½ medium head cabbage, chopped
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 tomato can water
4 beef bouillon cubes

In a Dutch oven, brown beef. Pour off grease. Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Yield: 3 quarts Freezes well.

Man that sounds good!

So good in fact, that I have a batch simmering right now. :)

It's VERY easy to do and I'm sure it's going to be great. I made one minor tweek though. I had half of a medium yellow onion in the fridge that was just begging to be used. So I diced it up and put it in while browning the beef. Should be a nice little kick.

Will report later on.
(with more "reports" in the not too distant future I'm sure) :rofl:

John

Man that sounds good!

So good in fact, that I have a batch simmering right now. :)

It's VERY easy to do and I'm sure it's going to be great. I made one minor tweek though. I had half of a medium yellow onion in the fridge that was just begging to be used. So I diced it up and put it in while browning the beef. Should be a nice little kick.

Will report later on.
(with more "reports" in the not too distant future I'm sure) :rofl:

John

A little onion can only make it better!:thumb:

My wife does a cabbage soup similar... she uses Kilbasa polish sausage for the meat, and new red potatoes in place of the beans... but every thing else is about the same... that soup and a pan of corn bread and I'm a happy camper.

FANTASTIC!!!

Just finished TWO big bowls. Chuck, it's funny you said that. When picking up the fixin's for the soup today, I grabbed a box of Saltines. But about just before the soup was ready, I thought about what might be better than crackers. I came up with Corn Bread. I got the cast iron skillet out and made up a nice batch. It went VERY well with this soup!

The only thing is that I'm a bit concerned what the atmosphere is going to be like around here in a little while. With both cabbage and beans in the same soup, it's going to be interesting. :)

Oh well, it'll be worth it.

John

Mike,
I enjoyed it so much that I just had a THIRD bowl so that I could take a pic and post it. Here it is...

cabbage_soup.JPG

It's YUMMY!

It's soup time again!

Thanks again for the recipe Mike. I just finished two bowls and I'll probably have a third in a little while. ( may be sleeping on the couch tonight though :rofl:)
Oh yeah, yesterday I made a couple loaves of Honey Oatmeal bread. A nice thick slice of that with a little butter goes FANTASTIC with this soup!

honey_oatmeal_bread.JPG

This is the easiest and best soup I've ever made!

John

Last edited: