175 different species

No, Mr. Ablett sir, I have not turned any keyaki. Is it a nice hard wood?

Boxes are turned from stock mounted in the spindle orientation so the grain needs to be running parallel with the ways of the lathe.

My favorite size sticks are around 3" square and in multiple lengths of 3 1/2" or so to minimize waste.

I've never turned Black Limba that I know of, and think maybe have done a pen from Ziricote... but Bocote is probably one of my favorite woods to turn... it's beautiful, love the colors and grains... it a nice and tight grained wood.... haven't done any boxes yet either, number 186 on my to-do list..... yours are great .... love all three.

Hi,

I'm not sure about Vaughn's comment. The one about making them short so they get front row. When I was in the service and we had to form up, they always tried to hide me in the middle. All the other guys were six-foot plus. I looked like a hole in the ground. They didn't want me in the front row where "Bradley" would normally appear (alphabetically speaking). I would spoil the picture or be spotted by the inspecting officer.

It was sort of like---you don't notice the little tree in the middle of the sequoias.

"Let's just hide the little squirt." seemed to be the normal approach. It didn't do ME any good though. I got just as much KP as anyone else.

Anyway, those boxes deserve to be in "Front Row Center."

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. Please do post more and do include pictures.

Gee, Jim... they army must do thing backwards..:rolleyes:.. we always aligned the company and squads by height... tallest in front.... shortest to the rear... made for a nice symmetric grouping.... only time things got different... I was in first squad, fourth man in height... but the guy in third man position was supposed to be road guard when we crossed a road... problem, he was not only taller than me, he weighed about twice what I did and couldn't catch up with the company when we moved at a fast march.... so they switched places with us and I became road guard.... and only way he could stay in step with the company was to watch my feet.... he was lost when I was standing road guard until I got back and skipped into step again... 'course the skip into step would always throw him out of step.... more often than not we would have to stop the company and start again so he could get in step.... :huh:

No, Mr. Ablett sir, I have not turned any keyaki. Is it a nice hard wood?

Boxes are turned from stock mounted in the spindle orientation so the grain needs to be running parallel with the ways of the lathe.

My favorite size sticks are around 3" square and in multiple lengths of 3 1/2" or so to minimize waste.

Yes Mike it is a very VERY hard wood, similar to Elm, well in the same family.
It has a very nice toothy grain.

I'll dig some out and send you some, PM me your mailing address! :thumb: