Barbecued Pork Ribs

Another dish of mine that gets rave reviews is barbecued pork ribs. I just made ribs a short time ago so I won't be making them again for a while - but I'll describe the process and add pictures later.

Pork ribs are one food that has a lot of regional variation so you may prefer ribs made differently than this. But this is an easy way to do ribs, either on the grill or in the oven.

First, there are different varieties of pork ribs, from baby back ribs, to St. Louis ribs, to plain old pork ribs. In my experience, the baby back ribs make the best barbecued ribs but even plain old cheap "pork ribs" come out well, albeit with more fat on the meat. Around here, plain old pork ribs can be bought for about $1.99 per pound, sometimes less on sale. I watch for the baby back ribs to go on sale and freeze them until I'm ready to make them.

Whichever ribs you use, start with ribs defrosted (although I've started with frozen ribs and had good success - just cook longer) and rub salt and pepper on both sides. Then take wide aluminum foil and double wrap the ribs in aluminum foil, making sure that the edges of the foil are folded over well so that the package is as air tight as possible. Wrap once, then wrap again over the first wrap. When I do the second wrap, I make the seam which is lengthwise on the opposite side of the ribs from the first wrap.

If cooking in an oven, heat the oven to about 450 degrees. It needs to be hot because the heat has to penetrate the aluminum foil. I cook for about 1 1/2 hours. Since the ribs are tightly wrapped, the ribs cook in their juices to an almost "falling off the bone" doneness, but moist and juicy.

If cooking on a grill, try to get the ribs up off the main grill because it gets too hot and you'll wind up with burned portions on the ribs. If you have a upper rack in your grill, use that. Heat the grill to about 450 to 500 degrees and cook for over an hour, maybe an hour and a half.

After this first cooking, remove the ribs and open the aluminum foil, folding the aluminum foil back to make a "dish" of the aluminum foil with the ribs sitting in the dish. Initially, put the back side of the ribs up. Brush with your favorite barbecue sauce - I like KC Masterpiece. Put the sauce on heavy.

Put back in the oven and cook for maybe 20 minutes. The sauce should dry on the meat but should not burn. Remove the ribs from the oven and turn them over so that the convex potion of the ribs are up. Slather on barbecue sauce and put back in the oven for another 20 or so minutes.

Serve to your friends and listen to them declare that they've never tasted "ribs-so-good".

I'll post pictures next time I make ribs.

Mike

[What's your favorite way to make pork ribs?]

Last edited: