"Black Polish" / Black French Polish

At the risk of encouraging a torrent of abuse for what seems like a stupid question :eek:) - what does "Black Polish" or "Black French Polish" look like... does it just darken the wood a little, or is it a real "gloss black" finish.

Would love to see a "before and after" if anyone has one... Google Image Search isn't delivering the goods :)

It was the other post I was asking to have moed (Sapele!)

I got those same links when I was looking myself - the guide is really handy - but the guitar forum says that the guitar is finished in Tru-Oil, not black french polish? I suppose what I was looking for was a block of wood picture... and then a "2 coats... 4 coats... shiny black" picture; to see whether it goes to "black" quickly, or if the first couple of coats just "grey it up" a bit.

Well, thanks Gavin. Now I am looking at another way to finish the stuff I am doing around here. I really appreciate the options but my head is so full it is hurting and NOW you have to go and open up new options. Thanks friend.:bonkers:

Actually, I really am thinking of using the tru oil finish. It has a nice look to it. I have never heard of this type of finish, so seriously, thanks. :)

I found another thread. It does a pretty good job of describing the method of getting a black finish. It seems the color is determined by the color of dye that is used. It sounds like it is labor intensive tho.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f9/black-french-polished-piano-22269/

OK if your going to do the Black Polish and you want to cut the time down some, take and mix the black die with the shellac and brush on 2-3 coats. Then if you going to fill you may have to tint you filler black also. Now when you mix up your french polish with black it will not take nearly as long to get a good even black.
I like to spray my color tone with a sealer Lacquer and color. It just a bit faster and I can get a few more coats on in a shorter time.