Favorite Fonts?

Bill Lantry

Hey, folks,

As you may remember, I've got a couple books coming out fairly soon. The good news? I get total editorial control. But part of the problem with total editorial control is that no-one makes decisions for you, darn it! I've never felt quite so on my own.

So here I am, trying to design a cover, which is wildly overdue. I know, in general, I want the reproduction of the persian miniature. I know, in general, the color I want for the text background, and Doorlink's favorite color is purple, so I want some variant of that for the text color. Also, purple and gold work thematically with the content.

But I have no idea which font to use. I've mocked up a few here: http://wflantry.com/?p=400

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

Bill

The Papyrus mockup is nice, but Papyrus is being used to death these days. It's become the Comic Sans for highbrow people. :p I really liked the Caeldera example myself. It stands out from the others and looks fitting for the title (but you'd know better if it fits the content).

Bill,

I filled in your "opinion" form. I used the "Post (some other word I forgot)." The computer appeared to accept it. But somehow, I am not sure it did. If you don't get it, do a PM and I will respond again.

My choices were: First Papyrus Mixed Case, followed closely by Caeldera. I explained why on the form.

Enjoy,

Jim

For me its Gabriola or the papyrus mixed case. Both of these are easy on the eye and dont look hard business formal kinda.

In my view the cover does not easily tell me what the book is about so the title better do it easy. If the font is hard to read at a glance you may get looked over when people are scanning titles.

When in a shelf at a book store the cover is not always visible unless the book is on display. So with the title on the spine you could adopt the approach of making its hard to discern, with the strategy that the person searching pauses to discern what the title is or make it easy to scan so as to allow them to digest the title.

Personally i think this is not something i would determine from a poll. A good publisher knows what works and what dont in different categories and its a time for an expert. I have all too often found that some of these kinds of market issues have nothing to do with logic as i have summised in my previous paragraph. We humans are irrational, with purchasing being driven by emotion thus, in my view and it affects how we interact with our world.

This is when you need to say to yourself, am i a poet or a book marketer and consider sticking to your trade and hiring an expert. Just my 5 cents.;)

Whatever you choose, I suggest you outline in black or use a shadow drop. It all blends in and nothing stands out to make the book a 'grabber'.
To be honest, I don't like the cover at all.
But, then I am also trying to design a book cover. I'll let you critique mine when ready.

The Papyrus mockup is nice, but Papyrus is being used to death these days. It's become the Comic Sans for highbrow people. :p I really liked the Caeldera example myself. It stands out from the others and looks fitting for the title (but you'd know better if it fits the content).

Interesting timing Bill, I am working on a cover too and I know how hard it is. I have been raking my brain and shooting photo after photo just to figure out what I want.

Anyway, Vaughn said exactly what I was going to say so I just quoted him.

Hey, folks,

Thanks for your input so far. I love the net. Here and on facebook and other sites, we've gotten suggestions from Scotland, Australia, Italy, California... literally all over the world. Even a giant raspberry from Arkansas! ;)

I've updated the gallery with the most popular suggestions. Need to make a call sometime this afternoon. Here's the updated link: http://wflantry.com/?p=400

Thanks,

Bill

OK, Bill, fairs fair.
Here is my first shot at a cover.
I don't like my fonts either and the red is overdone. I'll keep the concept but improve those things.

Attachments

• book cover.JPG
    book cover.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 14