Book cover idea

Jeff Horton

Not to try to one up Bill, but just coincidence. I was working on a book cover and was coming to post it.

This is not the final version but the idea probably is. May take a new photo along the lake with some water in the background. But after many versions I am pretty happy with this.

cover.jpg

Looks great. I like the way the lines suggested by the hull contours converge on, or point to, the title. The viewer's eye goes right there.

But because of that, I wonder if the subtitles aren't clouding the issue, strictly from a design point of view?

Thanks,

Bill

I agree with adding water to the photo in some way...after all that's where they end up! Maybe the same type of pic on a lake or riverbank? I think the photo composition is great. The title works well, but the text color is throwing me off. I'd like mine autographed please;)

I like the photo, but I'm with the other suggestions to incorporate water in it. Personally, I'd also drop the "Cheap, lightweight and easy to build" line. I think it clutters up the visual impact of the cover to a certain extent. It's a great catchphrase for marketing materials, but I'm not sure it really adds much to the book cover itself.

I like. A real eye catcher.
I read an article on cover design once that said one of the best eye catchers is a red diagonal line running from lower left to upper right.
Change the position of the two outside kayaks and you will have a winner.
Second best is red somewhere in the pic and a line of anykind doing the lower left to upper right thing.

THANKS to everyone. I have the cover 98% finished. Just tweaking the details. I used a couple of suggestions. funny thing was I read a couple suggestions after I tried them.

I don't have a small version to post and show you, but again, thanks for the input.

Yeah Jeff, that configuration is very eye pleasing. Your plan to duplicate the general shot with a water background oughta seal the deal.