Order to buy tools

Brian Clark

I am beginning to assemble my own set of woodworking tools. I have always borrowed peoples tools as needed. But, as I have been doing more and more projects it is clear I need my own. I have hand tools but want to know what is a good order to buy power tools in. I cannot purchase everything at once so that's why I want to buy tools in the order of frequency of use. I currently have a tablesaw but that is all. I know the tools depend on the project. Right now I am doing simple things like boxes, small day projects etc. As my tools and skills increase, I see those as increasing. My tentative plan is a miter saw next, then a router. Is that a good start, where should I go from there? Thanks
Brian

Before I got started woodturning, I'd say I used my router a lot more than my miter saw. I did, however, have a good tablesaw that was capable of making accurate crosscuts, and I also tended to purchase wood in lengths shorter than 8'. Plus, my miter saw is a low-end Delta that's nothing to write home about. I know some guys have much better miter saws, and use them a lot more that me.

So my vote would be for a router before a miter saw, but only if your tablesaw can do accurate crosscuts. People with different projects or preferences than me would likely go with the miter saw first.

Before I got started woodturning, I'd say I used my router a lot more than my miter saw. I did, however, have a good tablesaw that was capable of making accurate crosscuts, and I also tended to purchase wood in lengths shorter than 8'. Plus, my miter saw is a low-end Delta that's nothing to write home about. I know some guys have much better miter saws, and use them a lot more that me.

So my vote would be for a router before a miter saw, but only if your tablesaw can do accurate crosscuts. People with different projects or preferences than me would likely go with the miter saw first.

I'm gonna take Vaughn one step further and say skip the miter saw all together.
Yes I have one or well ok three of them but for the work it sounds like your doing a good table saw is you need. Set up right it will out preform a miter saw in accuracy and repeatability of cuts.
Now I'll add to your list of next tool options. Jointer or bandsaw A good jointer is almost unrepeatable in the shop. Unfortunately I don't consider a router to be in the tool list planing. It is just a must have and when one breaks or I need a different size one I just stop and get it on the way by like picking up a coffee on the way to work.

I also agree with the router before the miter saw. In fact, I agree that the miter saw is nice to have, but far from necessary. After the router I suggest a good random orbit sander, cordless drill, and jig saw. These 3 items will come in, most likely, less than a good bandsaw. Research the sander and drill to see what you feel best meets your needs. I would go with a Bosch jig saw. These additions will allow you to do many different projects and not break the bank--well not totally anyway I hope. A router table would be a good addition too.

If I had to prioritize items it would be:

drill--cordless preferred
router
random orbit sander
jig saw
router table

Hard to argue with Vaughn and the others on this one. I'd get a decent router and some good 1/2" shank bits. You can do a lot of different things with a router. A lot of suitable routers go for < $100 throughout a given year. Start watching for deals from Milwaukee, Hitachi, Bosch, Makita, PC, DW, Craftsman, Ridgid, etc. Be sure it feels good in your hands. If you end up getting one for a router table be sure it has variable speed.

FWIW, I only use my miter saw for molding or super long boards.

Thanks so much everyone. I have a jigsaw and 18v 1/2 drill and actually a drill press I forgot (I don't know how). It sounds as though it is almost unanimous that a router should be next. It looks like one that plunges is a good way to go

Thanks
Brian

Thanks so much everyone. I have a jigsaw and 18v 1/2 drill and actually a drill press I forgot (I don't know how). It sounds as though it is almost unanimous that a router should be next. It looks like one that plunges is a good way to go

Thanks
Brian

I am partial to the Milwakii dual base, others make em too. The Milwakii I got for $99.00 from Amazon

Another vote for a dual base router. If you can only have one, the plunge base is the way to go, but the kits with dual bases are better, in my opinion. My multi-base router is a Porter-Cable 690, which is kind of on the small side. Still, I used the stationary base under a router table for a couple of years, and the plunge base (and D-handle base, too) for the handheld stuff. I've since upgraded my router table router, but still use the 690s (I've got two motors) for handheld work. I've not used the Milwaukee routers, but they're very highly regarded, and I haven't used a Milwaukee tool I didn't like. :thumb: Some of the guys who use routers more than me may offer other good brand suggestions, too. There are a number of really good routers out there.

Regarding some of the other tools mentioned...

I almost never use my jointer when I'm doing flatwork, but here again, it's because I've got a good, accurate tablesaw that I can get glue-ready cuts with. But the caveat is that I almost never buy lumber that's not at least surfaced on one edge, if not both. If your local supply is rough lumber, then a jointer (and planer) would be higher up on the list than for me.

My bandsaw is the second-most used stationary tool in my shop, but that's because I'm primarily a woodturner, and I use it a lot for rough-cutting blanks. When I'm doing flatwork, there are some projects where the bandsaw gets no use, but there are others that couldn't have been done without one.

Random orbital sander? Yes, for sure. I use one of my three (2", 5", and 6") on pretty much everything I make, round or flat.

Of course you could save yourself a lot of time and money and just buy yourself a lathe from the get-go. Then you won't be needing all these flatwork tools. Just a whole slew of woodturning tools instead. :rofl:

The 3 most used tools in my shop that I would have a hard time doing without are the table saw, miter saw and jointer. I don't utilize my routers any way near their capabilities. I pretty much only use them to add decorative edges.

You don't specify woodworking tools or large or small.
Therefore, I'll disagree with everyone above (so wats new? :rolleyes: ).
I suggest you equip yourself with basic hand tools first. A good rechargeable drill is an absolute must, woodworker or not. Some hand saws, screwdrivers, etc. You can do a lot with those.
When equipping the shop, I would go with a bandsaw first, tablesaw second. Then as you decide what kind of work you want to do buy to fill that need. e.g. if you want to be a turner you will need a lathe; mostly flatwork a compound, slider miter saw. At some point a drill press will become a must. I strongly recommend a floor model. I got a benchtop and that was a misteak. :(
Router? Only if you see a need for one.

I'd have to toss in a drill press, 1/2" chuck. You can put in a mortise/tenon jig, Big holes, little holes...accurately! And of course...drill pen blanks!;)

First hing I would get would be a few straight egde clamps and a good circular saw. this will allow you to ripp down sheet stock and they work good for using with routers. Then start getting some clamps. THis will allow you to get going on some projects without spending alot of money. From here it would depend on the type of work you do as to what tools to get next.

I would say the 3 most useful stationary tools would be a table saw, jointer and planer. This will give you the freedom to build with other woods not sold at the big box stores. These three tools will allow you to start building with cherry, maple, ash and others. Not only that but you will need those three tools to build the most essential tool: a nice solid carpenter's work bench.

Another advantage of the three combination is the cost savings when you buy by the board foot. Oak is almost half the cost of the BBS when you buy it by board foot.

And of course, when you have those three tools you will need a dust collecting unit.

After the trio mentioned above a good router and router table.

I agree about the clamps. start collecting clamps!

Just as a side note: a cheap compressor will allow you to use a brad or nail gun... always a good thing to have.

Router is good, I think I'd put materials to build a cross cut sled, and an aftermarket miter gauge in front of a miter saw. I have something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITER10...Q2EQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305981030&sr=8-1 and it works pretty good for me.

Even a fancy home made cross cut sled with an adjustable fence you can put on and a protractor can cut accurate angled cuts. The one I linked is just easier to adjust in my opinion, but a home made one can be good too.

I used my router a lot more than my miter saw.

My miter saw has been at LOML's house since I used it for some trim work after she painted a couple rooms. That was the first time I had used it in years. I'd wait on that to see if you are one of the folks who really, really use them; some folks do.

I'm gonna take Vaughn one step further and say skip the miter saw all together.

+1, like I said ;-)

I am partial to the Milwaukee dual base

I'm more than partial so take this with a grain of slat . . I have the 5615-24 and a 5616-24 combos along with a couple other Milwaukee's and some other brands. Milwaukee has this one down cold; they are just a different level of machine for about the same money as many others.

Generally speaking (and this varies widely depending on wht kind of work you do) my first tools to acquire if I was starting from scratch:

Dust Collection (Thanks for the reminder, Mohammad)
Bandsaw
Jointer / Planer
Tablesaw
Router / Router table
Drill press
Bench chisels
Block plane

This will get you started doing just about anything furniture wise. You can grow from there. Once again, there are many variations on what is important and to whom for doing what. Your mileage may vary ;-)

Last edited:
I am in the same boat as you. I am in the early stage of building a home shop. I have started to accumulate tools. I do think that as a hobby woodworker our top priority should be our health. I would put a dust collection system (even a small one) on the top of the list.

The three most versatile and most used stationary machines in my shop are the drill press, table saw, and bench grinder / buffer / wire wheel. None of it's very useful, though, without a good bench to clamp up pieces and assemble the parts. The dust collector is the unsung hero of my shop - especially important since it's in the basement of the house. I'd consider the above list with a good hand saw, chisels, card scraper, core collection of hand planes (block, smoother, jack, and maybe a jointer), a cordless drill / driver and as many clamps as you can cobble together the essentials of a decent woodworking shop. A band saw, jointer, and planer really expand your abilities.
A router is really a versatile tool, but i don't wind up using mine for much of anything. Bits can get expensive, and just about every operation requires a jig and a fair amount of fettling. I also hate sanding, but do use a random orbital fairly often.

Brian,

You'll get all sorts of advice about what to buy first. These guys are giving you better advice than I could. You should listen to them.

But the truth is, whatever order you buy in, there's just a ton of stuff you need. Big and small, cordless or tailed, if we ever actually tallied up the number of things in our shops we'd be staggered.

So you need a strategy, something long term. Most people say buy them as you need them, and there's a lot to be said for that. But the counterpart is to buy the best available tool. One time, I walked into the depot. They had a router and a jigsaw on sale. I needed a router more than a jigsaw, but the router was middling and the jigsaw exceptional. I went for the jigsaw, and now I smile every time I use it.

Imagine you're the GM for an NFL team at draft time. Your team needs a tight end, and there's an OK one available. But there's a really, really great defensive tackle still on the board. Which do you take? Do you want to just win this year, or are you building a team for the long haul?

Thanks,

Bill