Safety. Always.

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Some of you have likely already heard, but the woodturning community lost a very talented and giving person this week. Joan Kelly, a very experienced and talented woodturning artist and teacher, passed away earlier this week. She was turning a large cedar bowl a couple of weeks ago when it exploded. She received serious injuries to her face and forehead, and after two weeks of unconsciousness in the hospital, she was declared brain dead and removed from life support May 17.

To learn more about Joan, and for information on the Joan Kelly Memorial Fund that has been set up on the Woodturners America site, please have a look at this article:

http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/i...=142:joan-kelly&catid=43:on-the-cover-current

I never met or corresponded with Joan, but I have several friends who did know her, and I've seen how hard her death has hit them. The overwhelming response from the woodturning community, particularly many of the more experienced turners, has been a renewed attitude about the importance of wearing a face shield. Always wear appropriate safety equipment when turning. Always.

All I can say is, wow. She was a very talented person. This shows it can happen to anyone. If it isn't on a mandrel, a shield is required in my school shop. This and the college student that died this year shows the patience of our machines to wait on us to make a mistake. My heart goes out to her family and friends. I kind of hate to thank you for posting this Vaughn.

That is a great loss to her family, friends, students and the woodturning community.

Thanks for the safety reminder. I am also guilty of avoiding the safety shield. I will try to put it on every time I turn.

I don't know the lady, but hate to hear of anyone's death. My condolences to her family.

I'm thinking I may have dodged a bullet when my bowl came off the lathe... I only got a black eye and maybe a bone chip in my cheek bone... I definitely wear my face shield every time I turn now... I lost a little cherry bowl today that split and flew off the lathe... part of it whacked my hand as it went by and bounced off the back wall. It nicked the side of my hand, but very minor cut.

I'm really sad to hear someone got hurt doing something I love as much as I do turning.