Very Little Drama......

Stuart Ablett

We had this old large TV stand thing, big ugly black particle board and glass unit. The TV that went with it is long dead, we were using it for storing stuff in, but after the earthquake we got rid of a lot of stuff. Imagine having your whole house picked up and shaken for a few seconds, then cleaning up the mess. Trust me that when you are cleaning everything up you do a lot of questioning why we have this or that or all of these things.... :huh:

The TV stand had to go. I took it apart, (saved all the hardware!) and then I had to cut it all up into less than a foot square pieces to be able to toss it in the trash. If we set it out as a unit, we would have to pay about $25 to have it hauled away.

If anyone doubt if you can set off your SawStop by hitting a brad nail buried deep in a bunch of particle board, I'm here to tell you that you can......

IMG_1664.jpg

The CoC restricts me from saying what I said out loud when this happened.

The blade not damaged.....

IMG_1666.jpg

... the two scratches you see there are from me sliding a small hammer along the blade to knock the spent cartridge off the blade.

I replaced the cartridge and put the blade back on, then I ran it up to speed with the blade below the table and it seems fine :dunno:

When this thing went off I was surprised at how little drama there was, I was almost through the cut, and then a small "thuck" sound and that was it. :huh: From all the videos I have seen I thought I would be needing a change of underwear, but it was like "Now you see it, now you don't"

I caused this, I did something stupid, I really should have known I'd hit a brad or staple and I should have used the by-pass switch, that is what it is there for :doh:

Oh well, I'll be the one paying for a new cartridge, anyone know where I can get one online that will ship to Japan?

Oh bother.....:(

Toss TV stand out on the street $25 By new SS cartridge $69
I think I'll go with toss the TV stand :thumb::thumb:
Sorry Stu you opened the door and I just couldn't help my self :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chuck, great response!!!!
Find one online Stu that will work, if it isn't against the law I will buy it for you and ship it to you.
I also would have expected a great big commotion when it went off Stu. Hey, you know it works! Keeping it for a momento? Or do you send them back for some type of core deposit/money off on your new one?

Last edited:
So you first word was 'OH'?

That's interesting. I've always thought that it almost 'melted' the blade and cartridge together.

Well, nice to get the that first one out of the way.

What do you think would have happened if you hit the nail without the SS? :dunno:

I don't think I've ever hit a nail with a my table saw.

Last edited:
Stu,

I feel your pain! ;)

A couple weeks ago, I was cleaning up the shop, since Doorlink's Mom was coming to visit. First time shop and house has been really clean and squared away in a while... ;)

Anyway, there was an old whitewood two by four with a few nails sticking out of one end. Would have made a fearsome weapon in a bar fight. Instead of taking the time to pull out all the nails, I figured I'd just cut off the end and chuck it. (yes, we can get away with that kind of thing here... :whistling: )

But, of course, the sawsall was already put away in it's new home up on a shelf, out of a six year old's reach. But there's the bandsaw, right there, all set up and plugged in. What could go wrong? :doh:

Everything was fine until right near the end. Whatever doofus drove those nails into there, he must have been an english major! One was bent and driven all the way in slantwise to hide it. Of course, it hit the blade. Yes, there were sparks and everything. Lucky I didn't light the pile of fine bandsaw sawdust on fire!

Scratch one Timberwolf. Dang!

Oh, well, hope you can find a new cartridge!

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Toss TV stand out on the street $25 By new SS cartridge $69
I think I'll go with toss the TV stand :thumb::thumb:
Sorry Stu you opened the door and I just couldn't help my self :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep, I agree with you Chuck, but the boss would not see it that way.

Boss: please cut up that old TV stand and throw it out in the regular garbage and save us $25

Me: No way dear, it I hit a nail and set off the cartridge that will cost me like $80

Boss: Well don't hit a nail....

Me: but I can't always see them.....

Boss: You mean that $5000 tablesaw of yours is afraid of a stupid little nail? What use are you.... OR the saw...

Me: Yes dear, I'll cut it up right away.....

See what I mean :doh:

of course if I was not so STUPID and if I remembered to turn on the by pass.... Oh well, I'll never EVER do that again...... :eek:

My name IS......

STU-pid

..... sometimes :rolleyes: :rofl:

Yep, I agree with you Chuck, but the boss would not see it that way.

Boss: please cut up that old TV stand and throw it out in the regular garbage and save us $25

Me: No way dear, it I hit a nail and set off the cartridge that will cost me like $80

Boss: Well don't hit a nail....

Me: but I can't always see them.....

Boss: You mean that $5000 tablesaw of yours is afraid of a stupid little nail? What use are you.... OR the saw...

Me: Yes dear, I'll cut it up right away.....

See what I mean :doh:

of course if I was not so STUPID and if I remembered to turn on the by pass.... Oh well, I'll never EVER do that again...... :eek:

My name IS......

STU-pid

..... sometimes :rolleyes: :rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Your a good man Stu, the battle was lost in 2 seconds. I get the last word in my house darn it, and it's always "Yes dear:eek:"

Oh well, I'll never EVER do that again

The lessons I learn this way do seem to stick better than some others. Glad it worked as designed and was so uneventful. I too am more than willing to do the legwork to get a cartridge to you if I can help.

it is just such a sweet machine to use, every time I use it, it puts a smile on my face :thumb:

I have tools that make me smile too. They are a joy to use and finger-saving feature or not, that is a nice machine.

Sorry Stu, but it seems to me, this was more demolition, since you were not saving the parts. A reciprocating, or circular saw is what I use for them, and blades are cheap, and you don't have to move the item to the shop to use them.

The unit broke down into 6 flat pieces, all made from particle board.
I live in downtown Tokyo, I cannot just go out to the backyard, pull out the circular saw and start cutting. The only place I can be doing this is down in the dungeon, down there using the circular saw or the sawsall makes a heck of a mess, particle board is messy to cut up, the Dungeon is a confined space, so the TS hooked up to my cyclone is the best way to keep things clean(ish).

My mistake was to not use the bypass switch, yes it was a demo job, and yes I should have used the bypass, my bad, I'm paying for it :rolleyes:

So far I've found one place that will ship out of the US, they want $69 for each cartridge, which seems to be the regular price, but they want $70 to ship two of them, that seems a bit steep :huh:

I'll figure out what two of them would weigh and see what the USPS want to ship them from the US, then I'll see if it is worth bothering one of you fine fellows who have offered to ship them to me.

Cheers!

Stu, you must have overlooked my question. Why did a nail trip the brake? Did it change the continuity?

Sorry Steve, I did not mean to.

I really do not know, I think that the brad must have been cut then as the brad was touching the back of the blade it must have also touched the riving knife :dunno:The table insert is a plastic stuff so that would have made the connection. I think that is what happened. Maybe they should make a riving knife out of Carbon Fiber or something :D

I just realized we have missed a golden opportunity here . . . Go back in time to before the boss knew about the cartridge firing . . . now, repeat after me:

"Gosh honey, I sure am glad I spent all that money getting the SawStop here. If not for that safety feature I would have just cut my thumb off. Boy, are we lucky we valued my safety so much that we were prepared."

Thanks Stu. Strange that it would happen. Good to know it works as advertised:thumb: One of these days, when I get my bigger shop, I want one. You can come over and help me set it up:D