Maple burl box

Well after looking at Mike Staffords boxes, i thought i would give one a try. Not really like Mikes but he was the inspiration.This is aprox. 4x31/4. Finish is danish oil, 2 coats, 4 coats lacquar, knocked down with steel wool, and waxed.The wood came from them downed trees at the job site.Thanks and as always all C&C welcome.
Steve

Attachments

• 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 009 [800x600].JPG
    009 [800x600].JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 011 [800x600].JPG
    011 [800x600].JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 014 [800x600].JPG
    014 [800x600].JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 69
Nothing like hitting it out of the park on the first try:thumb::p Cool job Steve!! Glad it held together on ya...looks a little cragily :eek:

I have to agree, that is a fine looking box.:thumb: I may have to borrow the design.;) Of course a box like that can never be duplicated exactly and for that reason alone it is yours.

If I was going to recommend any changes it would be to use a darker wood for the finial or dye the wood so that it more closely complemented the bark inclusions in the burl.

I am flattered that my work inspired you to turn a box. It is apparent you have some very good design and turning skills. Let's see some more.

Thanks all. This piece did throw me a few curves.The box Wanted to blow apart early in the turn, so i added some exposy to the worst spots. Let dry then finished turned. The first top i got to thin and had to make a different one. The finial was some mesquite and i made 3 different ones, this one is the one that the wife liked best. Was a bear but thought it finely turned out ok.

Stephen, that piece looks like it had disaster written all over it. You did a good job of turning that and keeping it from exploding. I love pieces like this. It shows real talent to complete a piece like this. Thanks for sharing.

Steve, that is a home run for sure! I'll bet that wing was wicked spinning around when you were trying to sand or polish. Makes your heart feel good when the kids want the stuff off of your lathe doesn't it?! All I've got to say is your kid has a good eye!!:thumb::thumb: