Kitchen Pullouts

glenn bradley

When I am struggling with a design for a piece (like now) I will distract myself with something else. LOML's mom has 10 different pullouts in her kitchen that I have made over the years. First the full extension ones for her pantry so she could get more usable space and easy access to all those pesky pantry items that hide in the back and get "replaced" before they are even used. Then some narrow ones for her medicinal supplies that she keeps handy.

As we get older it is harder to stoop down and reach back into those lower cabinets so for her birthday I gave her still more pullouts (it was her idea) for her lower cabinets. I thought I would get all 5 done this weekend but, the wide ones will have to go in tomorrow or the next day as time allows. I installed the cookie-sheet pullout already and these two narrow ones will go in today at lunch.

So, all in all this is a totally selfish post to help me feel like I am making progress while the final design of my bedroom chest of drawers percolates around in my gray matter. Here's a few shop shots.

Attachments

• Jan's Pullouts 001.jpg
    Jan's Pullouts 001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Jan's Pullouts 002.jpg
    Jan's Pullouts 002.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 61
  • Jan's Pullouts 003.jpg
    Jan's Pullouts 003.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 77
I did these in my house. Couple of lessons learned.

1. For a pantry, space the pullouts about 10.5" apart (between pullouts) so that you can put two cans high in the pullouts. It's a waste of space to make them only one can high and you lose too much space.

2. For the bottom pullout, space it about 13" to the next higher pullout so you can put larger things in. Cereal boxes, for example, can usually fit in 13"

3. Make the back of the pullout higher, maybe 6", so that things don't fall over the back if you pull the drawer out quickly.

4. Full extension is nice but 3/4" extension works well - gives you access to the back of the drawer - and is less expensive than full extension.

Mike

Glenn,
How do you mount the pullouts in the cabinets? I'm going through the same thing but having trouble figuring out how to anchor the pullouts in the cabinets. Do you install spacer blocks on the cabinet sides to attach the hardware to?

Glenn,
How do you mount the pullouts in the cabinets? I'm going through the same thing but having trouble figuring out how to anchor the pullouts in the cabinets. Do you install spacer blocks on the cabinet sides to attach the hardware to?

I do use spacer blocks and took some nice pictures last night. I then promptly left my camera at Granny's house. I'll pick it up tonight and post some shots.

Basically she has a face frame kitchen install. I just ripped down some poplar and made spacers to go against the cabinet sides and rails to go in any mid-shelf locations. One thing I learned in an earlier attempt at this in LOML's kitchen was to not bother taking the shelves out, just use them as supports. Lazy and not as versatile as a custom install but, quick.

Here we go. These are the smaller ones. The double-wides go in later this week. You can see the rails I made in the first post, second pic, lefthand side of the pic. These simply screw to the existing shelf in the proper place to hold the drawer glide.

Attachments

• Jan's Pullouts 006.jpg
    Jan's Pullouts 006.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Jan's Pullouts 008.jpg
    Jan's Pullouts 008.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
A Couple Pullouts for Me, at Last.

Hmmm, Virginia in summer? . . . it could take me awhile to get there ;-)

Well it only took about 5 years but, I finally made a couple of pullouts for my own kitchen during this last batch.

Attachments

• Glenn's-Pullouts.jpg
    Glenn's-Pullouts.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 32