How are our members in Joplin?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I know we have a number of members in or near the path of the tornado that hit Joplin. Does anyone know if they are OK? They, as well as the general population in the area (I have two grandchildren in Joplin, both are, to the best of my knowledge, OK) are in my thoughts and prayers this evening.

Looks like the storms have moved through. News says that there's a flood of aid there already, didn't look good. Rennie, good to hear your family is doing well. Let us know if they need anything. :wave:

I've been listening to the emergency scanner channels in Joplin tonight as I read up on the events. This was a very, very nasty tornado. Sending my best your family's way, Rennie.

According to the news this a.m. there are 89 dead in Joplin. That is a huge number. Very tragic. My son is an emergency room physician at St. John's in Springfield. He was mobilized as a DMAT (whatever that means) to go to Joplin and help in the effort there. Will be a tough assignment, I'm sure for all the people involved in the rescue/recovery effort.

Last edited:
According to the news this a.m. there are 89 dead in Joplin. That is a huge number. Very tragic. My son is an emergency room physician at St. John's in Springfield. He was mobilized as a DMAT (whatever that means) to go to Joplin and help in the effort there. Will be a tough assignment, I'm sure for all the people involved in the rescue/recovery effort.

DMAT is short for Disaster Medical Assistance Team. We are under Health and Human Services in conjunction with Homeland Security. I work for DMAT CA-6 in San Francisco. Those guys and gals will need your prayers. This is a link to our page http://ca6dmat.org
Our last major deployment was to Haiti for 2, 2 week deployments. Since then we also did medical for the World Series...rough, but someone has to do it.

St John's was all but flattened, and they did a heroic job of getting all the patients out safely...we have the best docs in the world on DMAT, MO-1 is lucky to have your son Frank...he will be in the prayers of my family and the CA-6 team.

Last edited:
Its really sad over there Im 70 miles east of Joplin and the worst of the storm went south of me by about 15 miles and now there are more storm going through right now hindering the emergency response teams.
Its so sad and my heart goes out to all the folks over there. :(

One of our member on here was just on the west side of Joplin and he is OK he watched it go just on the north side of him to close for me. :eek:

Its really sad over there Im 70 miles east of Joplin and the worst of the storm went south of me by about 15 miles and now there are more storm going through right now hindering the emergency response teams.
Its so sad and my heart goes out to all the folks over there. :(

One of our member on here was just on the west side of Joplin and he is OK he watched it go just on the north side of him to close for me. :eek:

Are you talking about Paul Gallian?

I feel for those folks... I saw what the little tornadoes did when they went through east TN a couple of weeks back... missed my house by about 1/4 mile or so...

My wife has a half sister in Carthage... we haven't heard anything about her yet... Dianne is trying to get in touch with her step mother in California to see if Laurel's okay.

Jay, keep us posted. I was wondering about Paul, too.

I spent a long time last night reading and listening to things as they unfolded in the aftermath in Joplin. This video has virtually nothing to look at, but the audio gives a chilling picture of what it was like to be in a walk-in cooler in the back of a store with a bunch of other customers during the tornado. (Not for the weak of heart, although everyone came through OK.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQnvxJZucds&feature=youtu.be

I also heard this exchange on the police scanner, regarding a man who was waving a gun at a sporting goods store and threatening people...

Cop: He said he was going to shoot people. I have him in custody and I have his gun.

Sergeant: Did he say he was going to shoot looters, or just people?

Cop: Looters.

Sergeant: Keep his gun and tell him to knock it off.

I just talked to Paul Gallian and he is fine. The bad stuff passed to the south of him but not by much and stayed up in the air.

Just heard a little while ago the death toll is up to 116. My heart goes out to all the folks over there. I don't think it has hit them yet they are all still in survival mode. :(:(

I heard this morning they pulled out 10 alive overnight from the rubble. I hope they have some dogs down there soon or already have some. One mans neighbor was still missing and he knew he was at home when the house was leveled.

More bad weather predicted for today but it was sunny this morning. It is a really nice town and I thought it would be a great place to live when I was down there working at Eagle Pitcher.

Garry

I spent a long time last night reading and listening to things as they unfolded in the aftermath in Joplin. This video has virtually nothing to look at, but the audio gives a chilling picture of what it was like to be in a walk-in cooler in the back of a store with a bunch of other customers during the tornado. (Not for the weak of heart, although everyone came through OK.)

My wife an I were talking this morning and an old co-worker's two nephews were both in that cooler. He works at one of the local tv stations, so they had them on this morning for interviews.