plant stand

Frank Fusco

My wife recently took a piece of indoor furniture outside for one of her plants. I told her being out in the weather would destroy it. No matter, she wanted a stand for her plants. Oh, well. Not wanting to see the stand destroyed I went in the shop and put together this plant stand for her.
It was made from scrap red cedar. Oh, how I wish my planer had a resettable and accurate setting for thickness. Machine works fine but lacking this feature is frustrating.
I didn't paint or finish. Rocks will rot faster than this wood and it will turn gray with time anyway.
Inside stand is now back inside.

Attachments

• plant stand.jpg
    plant stand.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 51
That came out great. A DRO will solve your planer repeatability problem. I became addicted to them on my lunchbox (a Wixey add-on) and added one to my G0453Z (a Grizzly provided iGaging product).

Thanks all.
Jonathon, yes, it is all red cedar. About six years ago I bought a 4'x4' pallet load of scrap red cedar from a small manufacturing company near me. I planned to sell about a million pen blanks from it. Long story short: Fusco free enterprise venture #246 failed.
Enneyhow, I still have much of it left and use for the occasional odd project when I can find pieces that will work.

Looks great Frank, and keeping mama happy is always a good thing!

I agree with you on the red cedar lasting a long time, but in my experience with it (we have a bit on the west coast you know) you would make it even better if you coat the feet of the stand, the parts the touch the ground with some epoxy, fill the end grain in and then slather it on about 1" up all around each foot. I have found that this really makes the cedar last even longer, you can also carefully cover the top endgrain too, as that is the place where the cedar does start to rot in time.

Cheers!