At last

Robert Mahon

My 1st try at this folks; so be gentle.

I enjoy many things and have a collection of trophies indicating that. Some of which are over 80 years old.
After I sold the Austin-Healey I was finally able to get some work-around room in the garage. Of course I had to fill it.
All the machines except the bandsaw, which is on a mobile base, are positioned to allow processing of an 8' board or sheet without moving things around.

If, after you look these over, you have any suggestions as how I may better lay it out, please feel free to offer them.

Attachments

• Lft rear corner-small.jpg
    Lft rear corner-small.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Rt mid-small.jpg
    Rt mid-small.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Lathe-small.JPG
    Lathe-small.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Mtl shop 3-small.JPG
    Mtl shop 3-small.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 127
  • TS-small.JPG
    TS-small.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Mid shop-small.JPG
    Mid shop-small.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 150
  • BS & RO tbl-small.JPG
    BS & RO tbl-small.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
My 1st try at this folks; so be gentle.

I enjoy many things and have a collection of trophies indicating that. Some of which are over 80 years old.
After I sold the Austin-Healey I was finally able to get some work-around room in the garage. Of course I had to fill it.
All the machines except the bandsaw, which is on a mobile base, are positioned to allow processing of an 8' board or sheet without moving things around.

If, after you look these over, you have any suggestions as how I may better lay it out, please feel free to offer them.
Hello Robert and Welcome!
Great looking little shop - a little too clean perhaps :D , needs some saw dust!
Can't wait to see pictures of projects.

Welcome Robert!

That's an interesting way that you have organized you tools (in particular the jointer, planer, and table saw) so that you don't need to move things. I'm a big believer in having everything mobile and I am always moving my equipment, but I can see how you don't (often) need to do so.

Last edited:
Welcome Robert. Glad to see you here. Looks like a great shop. How do you like your overhead dust control/blade guard on your tablesaw? I keep planning to do something about that but most folks who talk about it don't seem totally satisfied with theirs:huh:

And thanks for all the pics, we really like pics here:thumb:

VERY nice!

Metal lathe, and a milling machine!! paint me green with envy! :D

How do you like that bandsaw?

Your triangle set up for the tools looks like a good use of space, I have to haul my planer out each time I need to use it, kind of a pain, but the Dungeon is only so big... :dunno:

Oh, one more thing, this may be only me, but do you really think that FIVE cordless drills is enough........? ;) :D :rofl:

Man, I have 4 but the batteries on only two still work!

Again, nice set up, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Cheers!

Thanks for the offerings.
Too clean you say? Only for the pics. Usually there is a bit of VERY expensive wood shavings and dust present. I make a lot of Jewelry boxes and the like using exotic woods. After a day's work, I'm just too darned burned-out to run the vacuum cleaners (I have 3).

Correct; I don't have to move much in order to use all the machines. However, if I have to cut a wide piece, the Bandsaw can be moved out of the way so it can be processed through the TS.

Overarm Guard:
In truth, I bought cheap. But, it does work well enough to take a lot of the dust away from the blade using a good RIGID vacuum. It also serves to keep my fingers away from that nasty rotating "Veg-O-Matic" (you know, "It slices, it dices, etc.).

Bandsaw:
I bought it because I am certain it is a duplicate of the RIKON 14" model but with a bit greater height capacity. So far I've used it to resaw 7" wide Oak and 5" wide Purpleheart. I am well pleased with it and happy I decided to go with it.

5 Cordless drills:
You don't see the Makita cordless and DeWalt corded drill.
Like money and clamps, you can never have enough. Especially when you are building a large carcase using screws for fixturing. You know, drill the pilot hole through to accept the threads, open it for clearance, counterbore it to recess the head, run the screw in, etc. It sure saves a lot of bit changing.

Mill and Lathe:
I also make some of my own machinery (like the angle-router on the Waterloo rollaway chest) and a spiral cutting machine (hidden in the roll-front cabinet). In a former life I was a Journeyman Machinist and Professional Engineer. Having those machines makes it possible for me to all sorts of things. I also have a MIG welder in the rack behind the Waterloo chest.

Boys and their toys, dontcha know.

Hi Jim,
That belongs to Peg (LOML & wife).
I have it there just for the occasion she says something about my taking over the entire garage.
When she says that I just point at it and say "not really".

Thanks to all offering comments. I guess I can rest easy.